What kind of shark would make you get out of the water?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bull sharks haven't gotten too aggressive with me yet, but I respect them. I especially respect them with dead fish clipped off to my BC. Bulls are unpredictable, and I definitely feel a little vulnerable bobbing on the surface, waiting for my ride to come and get me after I sound the dive alert.

Some poor guy near St. Petersburg, FL was killed about three years ago. He jumped off the dock in his backyard and was attcked my a bull. If you've ever gone to Boca Grande Pass and Tarpon fished, you've likely seen what Bull Sharks and Hammerheads can do to a 150# Tarpon. It's a pretty sobering sight.

Wanna see?? Go to my buddy's web site here: http://www.gianttarpon.com/video.htm Click on "Shark Attack." Look at the way those Bulls lined up on that big Tarpon. You couldn't pay me to dive Boca Grande Pass from April to August.

I think from a diving perspective one of the things to glean from that video is you're not completely safe while entering the boat. Boca Grande Pass is a world class destination for Tarpon Fishing, and what you can't see is that there are probably 75 other boats surrounding my buddy's boat in the Pass - ALL with their motors running.

Those Bulls don't care about a fleat of those large, 30 ft fiberglass structures at the surface. They're in feed mode. I've run first mate on that boat, and you see some awesome stuff. Those bull sharks will bite the lower unit of your outboard if it's in the way of their meal ticket.

Locally, I would probably get out if there was a Tiger shark.

If I was in an area known to have them, a Bull shark would do the trick.

Let me throw in Great White too (unless I was in one of those cages).

tampascott once bubbled...
I think from a diving perspective one of the things to glean from that video is you're not completely safe while entering the boat. Boca Grande Pass is a world class destination for Tarpon Fishing, and what you can't see is that there are probably 75 other boats surrounding my buddy's boat in the Pass - ALL with their motors running.

Those Bulls don't care about a fleat of those large, 30 ft fiberglass structures at the surface. They're in feed mode. I've run first mate on that boat, and you see some awesome stuff. Those bull sharks will bite the lower unit of your outboard if it's in the way of their meal ticket.

Mental note: never dive Boca Grande Pass:scuba: :sharky:

if you're spearing, all bets are off as to who is docile and who isn't...blood and sharks are a risky combo...

Oceanic white-tips have a bad rep (likely quite deserved), I've never encountered one, but would probably call the dive rather than gamble on their intentions.

As I posted on another thread, silkies seem to be hyper-curious (some say aggressive)...nothing bad to report yet, but they always seem to find me and come by for a closer look than most other species.

Chepar, I've read that whites, tigers, and bulls account for the majority of attacks on humans (mostly swimmers and surfers). Attacks on divers are relatively rare (see first sentence, tho).

Dangerous or not, sharks are still the coolest thing going underwater. Too bad we kill the crap out of them...for every shark-related human fatality, several million sharks get the axe.

Which sharks could get me out of the water?

A HUNGRY ONE.

Ok. How many of you who have listed a specific species feel you could accurately identify that specific species underwater.

Exceptions of course for the hammer head.

I would love to swim with sharks. I'm not sure I could identify the difference between a grey reef, and a bull. I know what a nurse shark and of course a hammer head looks like. I could probably ID a great white and a short fin mako. I could ID a tiger and a sand tiger up close. Probably closer than I need to be.

How about it?

TwoBit

Good point TwoBit, that's the problem I face also. I could identify white tips, great whites, nurses, hammerheads and some of the really distinct ones like wobbygones but apart from that I'd just be guessing, or I'd be way too close for comfort. Does anyone know any good sights which have good descriptions of sharks and easy ways to distinguish between them?

Thanks
Dan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom