What kind of sharks have you seen?

What kind of sharks have you seen up close!

• NURSE

Votes: 136 74.7%
  • WHITE-TIPPED REEF, SILVERTIP REEF, GREY REEF, BLACK TIPPED REEF

Votes: 129 70.9%
  • SANDBAR SHARK/GREY NURSE/SNAGGLE TOOTH

Votes: 43 23.6%
  • LEMON SHARK

Votes: 26 14.3%
  • BULL SHARK / ZAMBEZI

Votes: 38 20.9%
  • TIGER SHARKS

Votes: 37 20.3%
  • OCEANIC WHITETIP, GREAT WHITE

Votes: 20 11.0%
  • MAKO

Votes: 7 3.8%
  • BLUE SHARKS

Votes: 17 9.3%
  • MEGAMOUTH,GOBLIN,HAMMERHEAD,THRESHER,WHALE,BASKING

Votes: 48 26.4%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have been Diving off of Montauk recently, and have seen a fair amount of Blue Sharks and Mako. The biggest so far has to be a 12 foot Blue that managed to make an appearence last Tuesday. Its truly amazing to see the most facinating sea creature that swims up close (my opinion). Thankfully they were too busy eating the fish we put out to pay any attention to me. I cant wait till the Fall though. Bigger Sharks including the occasional Great White and Thresher usually are caught by Fisherman. So hopefully one will make an appearence while I am Shark Diving.

Dave

Many grey reef sharks in the Bahamas, one almost kissed me and I have the picture of the encounter, someday I will learn how to post this on the net.

Was 5 feet from a big bull shark in the Bahamas, just a lucky encounter when we dropped into it's neighborhood.

Many nurse sharks in Cozumel.

Still looking for that whale shark on every dive.

Just returned from Fiji (Beqa Island) we signed up for a "Big Fish Encounter" they took us to 110' and brought down a garbage can full of fish parts etc. The sharks showed up with the humungous Jacks and others. The funniest part was my wife was suffering from ear problems (OK..this isn’t the funny part) so we went up to approximately 65 feet to watch. While everybody in our 2-boat group was looking forward for the sharks..they were swimming behind them checking out the activity before joining the frenzy. If just one of them would have looked behind them..they would have freaked!.. I almost swallowed sea-water laughing as hard as I did.

There were lots of black tipped, white tipped and others. Here is a picture of one of them:
:wacko:

My list so far:

Lemon (Moorea)
Hammerhead (Sea of Cortez)
Nurse (Fla Keys, Turks and Caicos)
Black Tip (French Poly)
White Tip Reef (Fiji)
Grey Reef (Fiji)
Thresher (So Cal Coast/Channel Islands)
Blue (Channel Islands)
Mako (So Cal Coast)
Leopard (So Cal Coast/Channel Islands)
Horn (So Cal Coast/Channel Islands)
Swell (Channel Islands)
Angel Shark (So Cal Coast/Channel Islands)

I have a goal in life to dive with every species of shark that I can get close to. I absolutely love sharks and want to dive with them as much as possible. Unfortunately the list has a very slow start as I have only seen nurse sharks so far. That's ok though, I just started professionally diving a few months ago and I'm only 20 so there's plenty of time. Anyway, wish me luck. :)

My list is :

Nurse shark
lemon shark
bull shark
hammer head shark
raggle tooth shark
gray nurse shark
white tip shark
black tip shark
carribean reef shark (requiem shark)
grey whaler sharks
..and one not on the list "Silver tip" shark

hoping to see some time:

whale shark
blue shark
silky shark
wobbegone shark
lepord shark
gallopogos shark

not sure if I want to see:

great white shark
tiger shark

Dive safe,
Caymanaic:)

Grey Reef ( in Hawaii), Hammerhead (in La Paz, Mexico), Leopard ( in Monterey, CA) , Galapagos (in Hawaii).

Had the pleasure of diving with a whale shark on my last days diving in Thailand, probably the best day of my life as wasn't working just fun diving. Was an amazing experience as was diving solo and the w.s swam above me for 10 mins or so before diving down in front of me and descending below the thermocline.
Words can't do the experience justice!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom