What limits your bottom time?

What limits your bottom time / dive duration?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It totally depends on the dive. When I'm in a drysuit with doubles, it's usually NDL or deco limits. If I'm diving wet, it's often temperature or air consumption. DM limits are the one thing it almost NEVER is. I avoid those types of dive charters wherever possible.

I am almost positive I am going to get a bashing, or at least my instructor is. But I had to answer NDL to this one....

I only have 4 OW Dives, all coldish water, and the first two dives it was a Gas issue. I sucked a tank down to about 500psi in about half an hour. However in the two weeks between my first two and my last two dives I practiced breathing techniques.

On my last two OW Dives it wasn't a gas issue at all. My consumption went WAY down and we actually ended up pushing the NDL. If we wanted to take a 3rd dive that particular day we would have needed a pretty decent Surface Interval, even for a shallow dive.

Andrew,

I'm not here to give yo a bashing, I'm just questioning. 1/2 hour for a medium depth dive is not sucking too much air. And going on a couple of 100 foot dives with a 100 or 120 cu ft tank will take you closer to that decompression threshold. The time is getting closer for you to consider an enriched oxygen class.

drdaddy

Well, it depends... If I do a nice deeper dive to 100+ fsw, then it's NDL's. If I do multiple deep-ish dives per day, it's usually NDL's. But when it's a shallower dive, the limiting factor would be gas. I usually dive with a steel 80, but I've been wanting an HP100 or LP108. Just can't seem to find one around here for a decent price, new or used.

when diving from tourist boats generally the entire party is onboard and I have 1800# at the back of the boat so DM/limit. when on my own boat usually air for shallow dives and NDL for deep ones. I usually step it up when I get near an NDL to get more time in the water. I have not had deco training yet so never had that as an issue. despite being a rebel in all ways I have never wanted to experiment with deco.

yo

... the amount of deco you want to do ...
Gas consumption is not so much an issue as you go to ccr with radial scrubbers with at least 6 hours duration. It is the deco you have to do and the logistics of adequate bailout gases

greetings
Matt

Well the point right before the boat will leave with out you, is a good point to end the dive.

Remind me not to dive on your charters! :D

If I dive deep its NDL (since im not deco trained)
If I dive shallow its air since I havent grown gills yet..

However I try to just go shallower as my NDL is decreasing and in that way maximise the NDL and make air, imposed time limit or preferrably match them to be the limitation.

If theres a max dive time of 60 minutes and they want you to be back at the boat with minimum 30 bar, Im trying to be as close as possible to those 60 minutes and as close as possible to those 30 bar (no use paying for 200 bar if I only use 80 of them and youre still paying for 2 tanks) :p

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom