What location is best for lots of fish

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ilee1990, I sort of read into your initial post that you are looking for something tranquil and warm... and not too far, nor too expensive... thus the Carib locations.

If you are focused on live-aboards in the areas you posted, do the Bay Islands, you can't go wrong. The one exception would be seasonal timing: If you are diving a little later in the winter/spring, I'd go with Belize.

rpodos:
ilee1990, I sort of read into your initial post that you are looking for something tranquil and warm... and not too far, nor too expensive... thus the Carib locations.

If you are focused on live-aboards in the areas you posted, do the Bay Islands, you can't go wrong. The one exception would be seasonal timing: If you are diving a little later in the winter/spring, I'd go with Belize.

that's right. We are looking at either the very last week in May or June. So you would say Bay Islands for this timeframe it seems.
Can you tell me why you would rec Bay Islands over Belize? They both seem fantastic to me so I'm interested in your personal observations of the differences. If any. Or is it because the Bay Islands are less travelled and thus more tranquil?

Thanks!

ilee1990:
What location is best for max viz and lots of fish (small and/or big) and coral?

I want to do a liveaboard but can't decide between Belize, Utila, or the Cayman Islands. We want to have 50+ viz and see schools of fish, sharks, rays, etc... Basically a lot of life. Wrecks would be a huge plus!

Does such a place exist anymore :06:

Thanks

Go to Key Largo in the Florida keys and dive French and Molasses reefs. Plenty of fish, coral reefs. It's cheap diving at $55 per two tank dive (Dive with Quiescence, small 6 max per boat, great people to deal with). You can dive 4 dives per day and it is still much cheaper than a live-a-board.

I was also at Palau in January and it is stunning, truly stunning schools of large fish, but not so cheap. To save $$ I went with Sam's Tours. They were excellent.

Good Luck, Dave

As long as you will be on a liveaboard, I would go with the Cayman Agressor. It is a nice boat and well run, if a bit haughty. I can't stand being on land in Grand Cayman anymore. I first went there in the mid 70's and it was wonderful. Now, it's like being in the middle of New York City!! Too much traffic and rush, rush, rush. The dives are good and the vis really good.
The sister islands are much better if going on land.
I haven't been in the Bay Islands since the mid 70's either and then only on Guanaja. I spend most of my time in the Pacific with short trips to the Caribbean several times a year.

ilee1990:
that's right. We are looking at either the very last week in May or June. So you would say Bay Islands for this timeframe it seems.
Can you tell me why you would rec Bay Islands over Belize? They both seem fantastic to me so I'm interested in your personal observations of the differences. If any. Or is it because the Bay Islands are less travelled and thus more tranquil?

Thanks!
I haven't done the bay Islands, but if you are doing liveaboards, the area you dive in Belize is Lighthouse Reef. Since it is so far offshore, you don't get many dayboats (except, of course, Blue Hole). Again, I cannot compare to Bay Islands, but you will see plenty of fish in Belize. Not many sharks (sometimes at Blue Hole), but lots of spotted eagle rays and tarpon for the big stuff (we also had a manta ray on one dive of the week). Check out my photo gallery - all the Belize pictures were taken the same week on the Aggressor.

dmpaq20:
Go to Key Largo in the Florida keys and dive French and Molasses reefs. Plenty of fish, coral reefs. It's cheap diving at $55 per two tank dive (Dive with Quiescence, small 6 max per boat, great people to deal with). You can dive 4 dives per day and it is still much cheaper than a live-a-board.

NOT cheaper than a liveaboard!!

How much do you pay for a hotel room?
How much is each meal?
How much is each snack?
How much is your beer?
How much is diving 5 dives a day?
How much is it worth to wake up each morning to a new dive site?
How much is it worth to walk from your room, 50 ft to the dive deck, put your gear
on and simply walk in?
How much is it worth to have a crew wait on your every need 24-7?

Liveaboards are-pound for pound-much cheaper when you look at the big picture.

dmpaq20:

I was also at Palau in January and it is stunning, truly stunning schools of large fish, but not so cheap. To save $$ I went with Sam's Tours. They were excellent.

Good Luck, Dave
I'm heading to Key Largo on Labour Day wknd. - can you provide me with the diveshop you were affiliated with. I like that 6 people on board, although i'm also taking a chance as i'm diving alone. OR, what can you suggest otherwise? I have penned the French and Molasses reefs as a must see.

Thx. much.

ilee1990:

Thanks!

Choosing between the Bay Islands and Belize, especially on a live-aboard, it's all about the whale sharks. Feb, March, April, I'd tend toward Utila. May or June, I'd bet on the Belize barrier reef south of the atolls. Whatever you do, try to schedule your trip around a full moon. Contact the live-aboard operators for their input.

To your last thought, about the Bay Islands being less travelled... well, certainly Ambergris Caye in Belize is a bit overloaded, but the atolls and the southern towns (e.g., Dangriga, Placencia) are still paradise. Again, you'll be on a live-aboard anyway, so no worrys. :)

LOCAL FISHMARKET! All the viz u want!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom