What Makes You Drool?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diving and grouper sandwiches are forever linked in my mind, since much of my diving is in the state of Florida, which seems to be the home of the grouper sandwich. When we are getting ready for a dive trip to FL, I get excited about the prospect of grouper sandwiches as much as I do of the diving. The underwater hand signal that my wife and I use to indicate we see a grouper is to rub our bellies. I sheepishly admit that a lot of what we see underwater makes us hungry for seafood. My own feeling is that well-managed fisheries have their place in the world of feeding mankind. But let's not divert the thread from this fine topic.

I still have not managed to find a pre-dive breakfast that keeps me from burping it up underwater. Even a simple tortilla with peanut butter and banana seems to cause me gastric distress. Well, I suppose it could also be the coffee. I don't like the idea of eating just an energy bar because I really enjoy the act of eating breakfast, and eating breakfast is part of my dive vacation ritual that I so look forward to. The worst such self-inflicted gastric distress was in Indonesia when I just could not resist eating nasi goreng or mee goreng with a fried egg and a good dose of sambal.

The idea of being somewhere where the seafood slept in the sea the previous night. If I could be anywhere for dinner tonight it would be The Crab Shack, Tybee Island: Where the elite eat in their bare feet.

Aww, FinnMom, I hate to be the one to tell you that although The Crab Shack may be on the water, all or most of their seafood is shipped in from far away. The only item that might come from the Georgia coast is the shrimp, and if so, they would make sure to tell you that on the menu because the price would stand out. There are certainly restaurants in the Savannah area that serve local seafood, but you can tell from the prices, which are higher than Crab Shack's. Can't beat the atmosphere, though. Well, at least when the mosquitoes aren't biting. Locals keep telling me that The Crab Shack is a tourist trap, but I keep on visiting for the same reasons you liked it.

In Brazil you get freshly baked cake ....... for breakfast!
Maybe I should move to Brazil. In America I get strange looks when I order dessert first, or wake up and eat ice cream sandwiches for breakfast :D

Back
Top Bottom