What manufacturer's stand by their equipment?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Paleo

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Had a bad couple of weeks when I needed a new PC since my old Viao literally started falling apart. OK, so now I have one with Windows 7, a 64 bit environment.

Software for my Aeris Atmos ai will not load, and now I also need a USB interface (old one is serial) and don't even know if my Atmos ai will communicate. Same with my perfectly good Citizen Hyper Aqualand. With the Citizen, I can download Aqualand NX, but that does me little good.

Contacting Aeris, I've heard . . . . crickets. Well, I guess that's better than the polite "F**K OFF that I got from Citizen. While I like the graphing functions, I also like to use my equipment until it is worn out and just plain does not function. Neither the Atmos ai nor the Hyper Aqualand are near their lifetime, but it seems like the companies just figure that if they don't bother offering good service, advertising is going to keep the flow of sheeple coming for their products.

Who are the reputable manufacturers of dive computers and computer watches that will support their products regardless of age?

Had a bad couple of weeks when I needed a new PC since my old Viao literally started falling apart. OK, so now I have one with Windows 7, a 64 bit environment.

Software for my Aeris Atmos ai will not load, and now I also need a USB interface (old one is serial) and don't even know if my Atmos ai will communicate. Same with my perfectly good Citizen Hyper Aqualand. With the Citizen, I can download Aqualand NX, but that does me little good.

Contacting Aeris, I've heard . . . . crickets. Well, I guess that's better than the polite "F**K OFF that I got from Citizen. While I like the graphing functions, I also like to use my equipment until it is worn out and just plain does not function. Neither the Atmos ai nor the Hyper Aqualand are near their lifetime, but it seems like the companies just figure that if they don't bother offering good service, advertising is going to keep the flow of sheeple coming for their products.

Who are the reputable manufacturers of dive computers and computer watches that will support their products regardless of age?

So, you bought a new PC and now you think dive computer manufacturers should be producing upgrades for their older models to keep them compatible with newer PC's. I think you are expecting a bit much from them. You could always go shopping for a compatible replacement for your Viao.

It might be worth a shot to purchase an inexpensive serial-to-USB adapter. Generics cost between $5 and $15 apiece online.
The controller chip inside the adapter can be one of a handful of different brands, so you'll have to identify the chip and download and install the appropriate driver software for your OS. I wouldn't expect Aeris to help you make this setup work, though.

Hopefully, whatever dive-logging software you use works on the new computer as well.

Reactions: Jax
I've been using a serial-to-USB adapter with my Suunto Stinger for quite some time. Device drivers for XP came with it, but Windows 7 didn't need any.
No problems running SDM under XP or Windows 7, on either my desktop or laptop.
However, the idea that you're going to get support forever is unrealistic.

"the idea that you're going to get support forever is unrealistic."

Hmmm . . . I thought that planned obsolescence was for sheeple back in the 50's. Well I guess the decade does not change the throwaway society.

have you tried using XP mode to see if it will work?

(snipped)

Folks, you seem to be missing this line. A 64-bit environment needs drivers made for it. I have several infrared devices, but had to go buy one with 64-bit compatibility to travel with my notebook. My serial download cable works only on my 32-bit machine. Paleo, you need to start doing your home work and Internet searches. I do not believe the manufacturers are going to bother to write a 64-bit driver for your older equipment.

I think that you will find that is mainly a limitation of the Windows environement. Since most computers and the Hyper Aqualand that are being discussed are serial devices, a serial driver should be native on a decent (read: not Windows!) OS, and the application would not need to contain any driver code. Windows requires every damn product to duplicate the basics in order to function, and *that* is where the problem lies!

Folks, you seem to be missing this line. A 64-bit environment needs drivers made for it. I have several infrared devices, but had to go buy one with 64-bit compatibility to travel with my notebook. My serial download cable works only on my 32-bit machine. Paleo, you need to start doing your home work and Internet searches. I do not believe the manufacturers are going to bother to write a 64-bit driver for your older equipment.

No, I didn't miss it. As I said, I am using a serial-to-USB adapter. When using it under XP, I had to install drivers. Under Windows 7, support was built in.

No, I didn't miss it. As I said, I am using a serial-to-USB adapter. When using it under XP, I had to install drivers. Under Windows 7, support was built in.

But are you using 64-bit XP and 64-bit Win7?

Back
Top Bottom