Question What needle do I use to sew nylon webbing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MacDuyver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I’m wanting to swap this bolt snap out for this snap shackle on my camera rig.

What needle do I use for nylon webbing (regular nylon not scuba webbing)? And is there a certain thread weight I should be using?

It looks like it’s either double or triple stitched too. Is there any special technique to doing that or is it just run it through the machine again?
BA98E850-9D60-4AA2-99A4-1F3056929BAE.jpeg

Practice on some scrap webbing. I do a lot of sewing with cordura, nylon webbing, even heavy harness webbing and thick ratchet strap polyester. Wasn't too much of a learning curve, once my wife showed me how to do the basics I picked it up pretty quick. Experiment with different tension and stitch length settings on scrap webbing until you find something consistent. Pick up a $5 roll of nylon or polyester webbing (not a fan of polypropylene) off amazon to practice with and use for other projects.

You typically want to sew for about a half inch, use the reverse to lock the stich, then back over again, make a square, cross the corners with an x, and on the last side of the box, reverse again to lock the stitch.

I tend to use a 100/16 denim needle and Coats and Clark "outdoor thread" in polyester for most scuba sewing projects. Coats and Clark "extra strong upholstery thread" in nylon is pretty good too. Honestly i tend to pick one or the other based on colors available than anything else.

If a project gets thick, like two plys of harness webbing or including a ply of neoprene for like a mask strap or to make a leash bouyant, you might need to use a walking foot attachment on top.

The thickest strongest needle your machine will accept - and you still might break it, go slow. Also make sure you don't have any kind of cotton blend thread.

Oh, one more tip. Don't force anything, let the feed of the machine primary move the work. When you think you can muscle around the webbing is when you put some flex in the needle which causes it to bang into the plate, bending or breaking. When you get to a corner, stop, make sure the needle is in the down position, raise the foot and rotate the work 90deg, then lower the foot and slowly proceed.

All great info above.

I've been sewing standard nylon strap material (.75" & 1") on a regular sewing machine for years. I use a #18 needle, usually ball point. Ball point needles tend to move between the threads of the weave as opposed to splitting them. zig-zag bar stitches seem to work as well if not better than the box and X pattern and is easier to undo if you make a mistake.

For thread I almost always go with Coats and Clark heavy nylon or polyester upholstery thread.

First thing to do, though, is find out how high your presser foot can go while in the down position before the thread tensioner disengages. This will tell you how thick a material you can actually sew on that particular machine.

FWIW I was able to modify one of my presser feet to sit a little higher, therefore raising the point at which the tensioner disengages so i can do a couple more layers of the webbing without problem.

I’m wanting to swap this bolt snap out for this snap shackle on my camera rig.

What needle do I use for nylon webbing (regular nylon not scuba webbing)? And is there a certain thread weight I should be using?

It looks like it’s either double or triple stitched too. Is there any special technique to doing that or is it just run it through the machine again?
View attachment 831932
Got a shoe repair place nearby?

I lied, one more tip. The little old ladies at the crafting stores taught me this one. Never ever pay full retail for crafting supplies. There is always a 40-50% coupon floating around.

1000005730.jpg

Check that the sewing machine can handle the thick of nylon webbing. If it is sturdy like the 2" webbing used for weightbelts or harness, many machines will get stuck. In that case, better hand sew ot with a sailmakers needle- or take it to a shoemaker repair shop and they have tough machines and experienced in sewing such stuff, and it ain't expensive.

Also, be sure not to use cotton thread, these will eventually decay.

Personally, I secure my cameras with chord tied to the dog clip instead of 1/2" webbing.

I've had nylon scuba harness webbing sewn at a tack [riding saddles and harnesses] shop. More recently, a couple of years ago, I had nylon scuba harness webbing sewn at a local shoe repair shop.

rx7diver

Back
Top Bottom