What newbies should know about our arguments

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Custer once bubbled...
Fair enough, however...

Respect is earned.

Not deserved, demanded, or required.
I knew I'd end up wanting to say something in this thread. There are different types of respect. Skill & knowledge respect are definately earned. So, if that's all you are talking of, we agree totally.

However, there is a basic respect that people should start with. This respect stems from the golden rule, and should govern our interactions. I shouldn't have to earn your respect for my possessions, etc. This is basic civility. (One wouldn't dream of telling someone "I'll only respect your body once you earn it" unless they were trying to get knocked down in a nightclub. )

This basic innate respect for each other is what I'd like to see more of on this board. It's far too easy to spout off and start cutting others for a variety of reasons, and completely forget that the people you're responding to *are* affected by what you post. Why try to p*ss someone off? The social studies that can be made of online communities intrigues me. We have our bullies, our braggers, our wallflowers, our peacemakers, our leaders, our followers, etc. Fascinating.

Please, when engaged here, try to think about how your communication is going to be portrayed. How does your post reflect you, and how likely is it to accomplish its goal the way that it is written?

...Aquabob states..."Nope. Wrong."

This suggests that Custer's point is not worthy of discussion. Might not he have said, "I disagree...I think that..." Or maybe, "Yes, but don't you think that..."

Now he might not have meant it the way it came across to some but nevertheless it could be taken as inflammatory and disrespectful.

It's a tough game, huh?

SA

I don't mean to single you out, Aqua. It just happens that this was a good example. I do it myself and probably more often than I realize.

Could some one please tell what DIR\GUE is about ?

KROBI once bubbled...
Could some one please tell what DIR\GUE is about ?

DIR stands for Doing It Right. GUE stands for Global Underwater Explorers.

GUE is a training agency. GUE's overall instructional program is called DIR.

GUE used a three pronged instrutional approach based upon (1) attitude and lifestyle; (2) dive skills; and (3) equipment configuration.

You can find more information at www.gue.com.

Custer once bubbled...

Nope. Wrong.

There's a difference between courtesy and respect.

It's nice to be courteous to others, but respect isn't free.

While this doesn't mean one needs to be disrespectful, until you know someone, how can you tell if they're worthy of respect?

Earned.

i agree ...
i can be polite, friendly or even indifferent to ppl i dont know ...
respect has nothing to do with it, which is not the same as having no respect

MoonUnit once bubbled...

i agree ...
i can be polite, friendly or even indifferent to ppl i dont know ...
respect has nothing to do with it, which is not the same as having no respect

You didn't mention impolite and decidedly unfriendly, which are the behaviors that have no place here, IMO.

I thought the little Custer joke and the smiley at the end made it clear that I had my tongue firmly planted in my cheek. Sorry for the misinterpretaion.... sometimes sarcasm doesn't quite come across right.

I've tried to tried to teach my son, (and most of this friends) that we only have two rules at my house. I also go on to explain that if they learn them early, and can apply them, they will probably serve them well throughout life...

Rule #1: Don't wreck stuff.
Rule #2: Try to get along with people.

Once again, sorry for the confusion.... I certainly don't want to break my own Rule #2.

-----------

On a related note..... if I should happen to fall to the dark side, will I have to change my Rule #1 to Rule #1A, or will I still be able to call it Rule #1 when I speak with non-divers? :)

(Darn... I did it again.... hope this doesn't rub anyone in the wrong DIRection.)

Allen42 once bubbled...

I knew I'd end up wanting to say something in this thread. There are different types of respect. Skill & knowledge respect are definately earned. So, if that's all you are talking of, we agree totally.

However, there is a basic respect that people should start with. This respect stems from the golden rule, and should govern our interactions. I shouldn't have to earn your respect for my possessions, etc. This is basic civility. (One wouldn't dream of telling someone "I'll only respect your body once you earn it" unless they were trying to get knocked down in a nightclub. )

This basic innate respect for each other is what I'd like to see more of on this board. It's far too easy to spout off and start cutting others for a variety of reasons, and completely forget that the people you're responding to *are* affected by what you post. Why try to p*ss someone off? The social studies that can be made of online communities intrigues me. We have our bullies, our braggers, our wallflowers, our peacemakers, our leaders, our followers, etc. Fascinating.

We're sorta on the same page. I can respect your gear, or your practices, politics or lifestyle choices, and still not respect you as a person.

Being respected as a person is what I mean.

For instance, I can respect George Irvine's accomplishments and contributions as a diver.

And still think he's a total scumbag as a person.

Some people feel they can say anything they want with impunity.

Just opportunity for me.

Allen42 once bubbled...
Please, when engaged here, try to think about how your communication is going to be portrayed. How does your post reflect you, and how likely is it to accomplish its goal the way that it is written?

I always do.

Each response I make is carefully calculated.

For effect.

Yup! it was me!

While you didn't like my "wiggler", the fish were impressed! I've since begun dating one of the local parotfish.

I came! I saw! I flashed 'em my A$$!

gedunk once bubbled...

That reminds of something that happened to my girlfriend and i several years ago in Coz. We were diving along, minding our own business and along comes this dude, by himself, swimming like crazy to catch us.

I thought .... whatever dude, it was Coz after all, and continued to enjoy our dive. Several minutes later i noticed he was still along side us but was now turned toward and looking at us.

Then i saw what the big or should i say little deal was. The guy was swimming in his birthday suit. Well needless to say i started laughing my arse off because; one, he was in his birthday suit and two, his wiggler was nothing to be proud of.

I came closer to drowning that day than any day before or after. :D

That wasn't you was it GQ? :wink:

Too funny! *feeding the trolls* (Wait, I am a troll, duhhh)

As I read this thread, I think "wow, everyone's an expert". Nice topic, all in all, who cares? It's been amusing though! Kind of a "Mad Magazine" for divers.

"Proud Mary, won't ya keep on trollin'....."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom