What should i do with 1987 scuba tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Umbrella stand.

There was a time when I could quote the actual data to you. But those days have gone, along with my hair, so you'll have to settle for what I think I remember.

There have been probably one or two dozen catastrophic failures of the 6351 alloy world-wide, associated with at least a couple of deaths, a few amputated limbs, and other such "minor" injuries.

I am not aware of any catastrophic failures that occurred in cylinders with a valid eddy current exam.

Most of the failures occurred during the filling process, but not all, and the failures did not necessarily occur at high pressures.

Corrosion and manufacturing defects account for only 2 incidents of catastrophic failure with 6351 cylinders. All of the rest of the failures investigated by the DOT were attributed to sustained-load cracking.

All of this information is available on the DOT website if you feel like searching. Each cylinder failure has an associated investigation and detailed report with photos.

http://www.phmsa.dot.gov/hazmat/library/reports/technical

Is there a specific brand/stamping? What is the correct year for the issue? I have Catalina & Luxfer tanks from that era in my collection - near new condition, so I'm bummed to hear that there is likely more gear I am replacing..... FWIW - I also own some '70's "cork bottles".

Would like to know the real truth. Any help would be appreciated.

Is there a specific brand/stamping? What is the correct year for the issue? I have Catalina & Luxfer tanks from that era in my collection - near new condition, so I'm bummed to hear that there is likely more gear I am replacing..... FWIW - I also own some '70's "cork bottles".

Would like to know the real truth. Any help would be appreciated.

Look here, bottom of page

I have one of this oldies (mine is 1980). Its a pain to get filled so I used it as my bench tank.

I.E. it sits with 500-1000lbs of air and I used it to test regs, pressurize them for cleaning etc.. I top it off from spent tanks as needed via trans-fill. So it gives me a "free" source of air for home use. I don't bother with hydro since it is not transported.

I had two of these tanks. After a long discussion this board I decided to scrap them. Alumn is high (I think) right now. Then you can get some money back from them.

There is a lot of good info on the old thread I had. You can find it here: Bad Tank Alloy

Here's some suggestions...

0a27023d-c77d-4f7b-ab2b-cd4cf8e4068.jpg

scuba-tank-lamp_small.jpg

3k73oc3l8ZZZZZZZZZ9289873208220e11c.jpg

There was a time when I could quote the actual data to you. But those days have gone, along with my hair, so you'll have to settle for what I think I remember.

There have been probably one or two dozen catastrophic failures of the 6351 alloy world-wide, associated with at least a couple of deaths, a few amputated limbs, and other such "minor" injuries.

I am not aware of any catastrophic failures that occurred in cylinders with a valid eddy current exam.

Most of the failures occurred during the filling process, but not all, and the failures did not necessarily occur at high pressures.

Corrosion and manufacturing defects account for only 2 incidents of catastrophic failure with 6351 cylinders. All of the rest of the failures investigated by the DOT were attributed to sustained-load cracking.

All of this information is available on the DOT website if you feel like searching. Each cylinder failure has an associated investigation and detailed report with photos.

PHMSA - Technical Reports

Another summary

Here's some suggestions...

If I could make the darn LIKE thing work, I'd like it.

So here you go. <click noise> LIKE.

All the best, James

Back
Top Bottom