What should I do?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aquatic Eagle

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I need some advice on what you would do if you were in this situation. I recently worked for a dive operation that disregards safety and the environment. This operation takes people out to a reef and shallow wreck and then the customers drive these little underwater vehicles around the reef, guided by the divemasters. These vehicles are about 200+ LBS and travel at about 3 knots. The tour is through a canyon of coral and when a current picks up, it is very hard to keep the vehicles from smashing into the coral. The place looks terrible. There are pieces of broken coral all over the place where the vehicles have run into the coral and broken pieces off. There is a brain coral there about twice as big as a computer monitor that has a huge cut in it's side from being constantly rammed by the vehicles. Brain coral takes hundreds of years to get that big and it's dead now. Somebody coming out on this operation for one day wouldn't notice these things but I was there almost everyday and the place is really getting quite ugly now. As far as safety, the owner employs two people that he calls surface support to snorkel on the surface and keep a bird's eye view of everything while the dive is going on. These surface support are not trained or certified in anything, not even trained in CPR or First Aid. The surface support are allowed to take these people down in the vehicles and they know absolutely nothing about the effects of pressure or coming up too fast. One time one of the guys took someone down so fast that the person couldn't equalize quick enough and his nose started bleeding. When they bring the people up they shoot them to the surface and the customers don't know any better because they aren't trained divers. These vehicles actually keep you dry inside, your head is in a bubble so you aren't on SCUBA. The owner also has this dive boat ride out to the site, sometimes at high speed, with tanks not secured and ready to fall over at any time. I have actually picked up tanks that had fallen over on their side. The shed where the tanks are filled is downwind of the cruise ship dock so the air smells and tastes horrible. These all combine to make it very hard to work for such an operation and so I had to leave for fear of something happening to someone. Not to mention that the medical forms on that boat are a joke. If somebody has a contraindication to diving, he has us tear up the form and the customer signs a new one. Now I feel very strongly that I should expose this to the proper people and get out that this operation is not very safe first of all...and it's also very very damaging to the reef and sealife there. My question I guess is....would you expose this operation to the proper organizations or people? What would you do?

Of course Id report them. Or kill the operators and keep quiet.
Think about this, if you don't do something to help the reef, who will?

If it's not you need to report them not only to the Agency/Agencies they are affiliated with as well as the local Marine Authorities and Environmental Agencies.

~SubMariner~

If you can prove this stuff, (or if the owner will do it someone gets an observer around) go ahead and let someone know. I hate to hear about people destroying coral. Up here, we feel about the same about shipwrecks.

I am trying to pick up violations of actual law (there are a few, like encouraging the lying on the medical forms), and separate them from the common sense violations. We all need to remember that in many cases there is very little in scuba that is actually regulated legally.

This is a good question. If not for liability what is to prevent someone from running the type of operation prescribed? I am suprised someone hasn't been hurt and tried to sue this operation yet. If this is actually going on as described, this guy wouldn't have any money to operate after the first time with the "sharks in suit." He wouldn't have a leg to stand on when the insurance company denied him coverage.

NatureDiver once bubbled...
I need some advice on what you would do if you were in this situation.

Then name names.

Why are you protecting these people?

One thing that this guy requires his divers to do is for each diver to put his (the owner's) name, his wife's name, and his boat's name as additionally insured on each diver's liability insurance. Does that sound right to anyone else?

......The BOB Underwater Adventure on St. Thomas, USVI. The actual name of the company is Aqua Adventures but the tour is called the BOB Underwater Adventure. BOB stands for Breathing Observation Bubble. I'm not sure how to post links on this forum yet so here's the web address for them.

http://www.bobusvi.com

I've see an awful lot of video of recreational reef dives that are murder on the evironment. I have video of divers crashing all over coral and the videographer tearing coral apart to get an actopus out. Then of course every one takes turns beating the thing up while standing on and kicking the reef. All that combined with the stories I hear from students and I think half the operators out there need to be shut down and half the divers in the water shouldn't be there. My impression is that if somebody will pay for the entertainment they can tear up all the coral they want.

If this operator is affiliated with a certification agency (PADI, NAUI, SSI, BSAC, etc...), then you should report to them. The medical forms alone might create issues.

In addition, consider calling the environmental people in the BVI government. They might have something to say about this.

Since there is no federal requirement for certification and there probably is no USVI or St Thomas requirement, the only case you would have is destruction of a marine sanctuary, which I don't think St Thomas has.

No law, no foul.

I think Aqua Adventures is a PADI facility. If it is, PADI might try to do something, although I doubt it since the BOB operation seems to be a separate company.

Back
Top Bottom