What should I do?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CBulla once bubbled...
From a somewhat outsiders point of view based on videos I have seen of people and other such in the water down in USVI and other carribean areas, its hard not to believe that the underwater vehicles are not finding their way into reefs or other underwater structures.

Granted, some damage could have pre-existed, I can't doubt that further damage is being created through poor steermanship of these tourist attractive devices, much the same way as those whose only dive experience occurs once a year on vacation. I've seen at least 4 hours of video which substantiates this, each of which shows divers touching reef, rolling into it, bumping it with tanks, sticking knives into it, standing on living rock, and even holding the reef to stabilize bouyancy. Some of this was seen in an AOW course video! Based on those examples, its hard to believe NatureBoy's claims.

Personally, I would suggest that some video monitoring of people who participate in the activity be done. Watch the video and evaluate whether or not this is an ecologically sound activity.

after reading it 3 times I'm not sure what you are saying or who you are believing?

scubadown once bubbled...

21 year old disgruntled ex employee of that operation with 5 months of dive expereince after graduating from Halls Dive School in Florida. . . .

<snip>

. . . When in fact they are the most popolar tourist attraction in the islands.

What kind of a "most popular" tourist attraction would employ a 5th month old diver to guide and ensure the safety of their customers? There are tons of better trained divers around...

Why would a "rich" company not spend more money to protect their interests (tourists) by giving them more experienced guides?

Sounds more like a shady operation to me.

Seems like there's a lot of question marks here...

I will remember the name of the place and the name of the owners.

ltbz once bubbled...

<snip>
The pieces of broken coral that were pointed out were there long before we ever arrived as the site is also occupied by a 200' long, turn of the century shipwreck.

How do you know that no new coral debris has been added?

Do you dive with the operations often?

How long before a piece of newly broken off coral get bleached white?

What is the relation between the turn of the century shipwreck and old dead corals?

Yeah, divers are a crazy bunch of people. I know... I am a diver. :wacko: :wacko:
But I dont think any diver would go pick up a whole load of dead corals from somewhere else and scatter them all over your tour route?

it was the job of our professional divers, such as NatureDiver, to guide and keep the slow moving units on their intended path.

I would hardly say that a 5 month old diver qualifies as a professional. (If Scubadown's post is stating the truth about ND's diving history)

You got a good heart NatureDiver and you are off to a good start. Don't be disheartened. You got my support.

:mean:

I appreciate the support Bloop. Just to clear my history up here:

I was certified as a diver in July of 1998. I became an instructor on May 2, 2003. So yes, I am new to the world of professional diving.

Wow, three Colins posting on this board. Someone call Guinness!

CBulla,

Quoting you..

From a somewhat outsiders point of view based on videos I have seen of people and other such in the water down in USVI and other carribean areas, its hard not to believe that the underwater vehicles are not finding their way into reefs or other underwater structures.

Granted, some damage could have pre-existed, I can't doubt that further damage is being created through poor steermanship of these tourist attractive devices, much the same way as those whose only dive experience occurs once a year on vacation. I've seen at least 4 hours of video which substantiates this, each of which shows divers touching reef, rolling into it, bumping it with tanks, sticking knives into it, standing on living rock, and even holding the reef to stabilize bouyancy. Some of this was seen in an AOW course video! Based on those examples, its hard to believe NatureBoy's claims.

I'm confused. What are you trying to say here? I have an idea, but will wait until you tell me.

NatureDiver,

I usually never giver words of advice unless they are asked for such as in a public forum. Spouting my opinion is a different matter altogether. This is an exception.

Here's my advice....Do what you feel is right through the appropriate agencies. Nobody on this board will know what the truth is. We can only offer suggestions with no legal ramifications. By naming places in a negligent way you set yourself up for failure. This is like posting in the newspaper. Without any quantifiable proof of negligence in any way, you are vulnerable to a slander accusation. I guess this is too little too late.

Try PM ing next time. Good luck man!

Colin

These BOBs sound great. How come all resorts don't have them. User and environmently friendly. 'ltbz' you're making over $3Mill a year. Nice. :$$:

Just for info. A non-teaching PADI instructor would not show up on the PADI records an instructor. Gotta pay your 'teaching' fee.

Also the PADI instructor liability insurance might not cover a unit not PADI certified so the resort would have to have separate insurance policy.

So, as the units are now run in a different dive site away from coral(?), the operation is 'self regulated', insurance is covered. Are there any other constructive comments?

:)

Back
Top Bottom