What should I do?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello NatureDiver...

I too am appalled at the way this dive operation is being handled. I read you had worked for them and am glad you find so many of the things they do as wrong...as all of us seem to agree.

Turning them in is definately an answer...

My only question is... have you tried educating them? It sounds horrendous (sp?), and the authorities should be aware of what they are doing and help to recitify the situation. Maybe you, as an educated diver concerned about the habitat's well-being, could work with the authorities and the operation to turn this around to be a win-win for everyone, even the reef. Possibly some rebuilding of this reef and establishing more reefs in that area are possible. Maybe you can take a really bad situation and turn it into a really productive one. Maybe it is lack of education, or more likely pure laziness. It could ONLY be profittable for them, as environment aware diving is just as, if not more rewarding that thrash and go...

Just my two cents.

You have inspired me Sea_Nymph. All this time I have been thinking of nothing but getting this guy in trouble. He is aware of the safety hazards he is slipping by so I know he obviously cares nothing about that. I even witnessed him get into an argument with another boat captain about why it's ok that he has so many tanks unsecured on the boat because it's a short ride(fifteen minutes). However, he never gets to dive the site himself so maybe he doesn't know the damage that the BOBs are causing to the reef. I honestly don't think he'll care either way but he should at least be made aware of the situation. So I decided to write him a letter bringing the state of the reef to his attention. I don't think he'll respond kindly if he does at all but...here it is:

Joe-

Hi. It's Colin Lemon. I'm sure you remember me, I only left there about two months ago. Anyway, I want to thank for the job that I had while I was there. I had a lot of fun on that boat working with those people and I loved the job itself. I appreciate everything you did for me while I was there. I just wanted to talk to you about something. While I was there I had a chance to observe some things. Those BOBs are a lot of fun and I know it's a lot of fun to take part in an operation like that, but when was the last time you personally dove that coral canyon? Have you ever noticed the damage that the BOBs cause? Those BOBs are about 230 LBS right? On a good day, the divers can control the BOBs with no problem. On a bad day with a bad current though, there are a lot of problems there. There is a huge brain coral right inside the entrance to the canyon that has a very large place in the top of it where the BOBs continuously run into it. Ask any of your divers who have been there for any length of time and they will all tell you that there is always a risk of a BOB hitting that brain coral, current or no current. A brain coral that size took a few hundred years to get that big and now it is dead. Look at that coral in a couple of years and it will be hollowed out tremendously. Also take a look around the floor of the canyon near the walls. There are pieces of broken coral all over the place where the BOBs crash into the walls. Once again, this happens whether there is a current that day or not. I remember one day when the current was so strong at the entrance to the canyon that one of the BOBs was carried about 50 feet to the left into the middle of the coral field. It left a path of crushed coral behind it. Take a few minutes the next time that you go out on the boat and dive the site. I realize that this may not have ever come to your attention because usually you are doing other business stuff and don't have time to dive. I am asking you though to make it a point to check this out. I know you take a lot of pride in your business. That was one thing that I liked the most the first time we talked. Think about the future of the BOB Underwater Adventure if there is nothing left in another year but a graveyard of dead coral. I just want to make sure that you are aware of the damage that the BOBs are causing to the environment there. I'm sure that you probably weren't aware of it before now. Please let me know what you think of all of this. Thanks for your time.

-Colin

Let me know what you think of this. :) Thanks Sea_Nymph for the inspiration. :)

NatureDiver once bubbled...
Well Lawman. This was one of my first days down there. We were having one of our little, "You're doing a great job....do better." speeches. He handed out some forms so that everyone could give him their information (copies of cert cards and proof of liability insurance, sign the company liability release). When he was discussing the insurance, he said that when everyone renewed the their policies, they needed to add his name, his wife's name (she's the bookkeeper/co-owner), and the boat in our policies as "Additionally Insured". As far as I know, that is like when you get health insurance and add someone like a dependant as additionally insured so that they are covered as well. What I get from this is....boat sinks, he collects from about 10 different insurance claims. He dies, wife collects from about 10 insurance claims and if his wife dies, he collects from about 10 claims. That sounds like insurance fraud to me. :) Do we have a lawyer on this board anywhere? I haven't seen one surface since I've been around but a lawyer's advice would be great on this part of the project.

Thanks GratefulDiver, nice to have the support. :)

Wasn't there some discussion a while back about the boat, the boat's owner and the captain etc being included under DM's insurance against certain actions? Isn't this perhaps just related to that blanket insurance deal?

On the whole issue: I'd be surprised if the folks mentioned earlier as being the appointed protectors of the environment aren't already aware of these abuses. If that's the case, why aren't they already acting? Perhaps the area's dependency on the tourism promoters exceeds the zeal of the protectors of the environment to do their job.

In Cancun the dive ops repeatedly stress the need to avoid touching the coral and occasionally we are accompanied by a single diver who joins us from a small boat and follows along taking notes. According to one Dive Master from Aquaworld, they can and do write up the companies for infractions like the customers touching the coral and do in fact fine the ops. Cancun diving is all within a designated park area.

John F.

This is what I know about the insurance stuff from when I was there. All he said for us to do with our insurance was to add his name, his wife's name, and the boat to our individual policies as "Additionally Insured". I don't know a whole lot about insurance myself but that doesn't sound legal to me. Maybe Lawman can help us out there.

As far as the environment goes...the problem we have with this area is that it is not protected by any "no-take" zone or anything. The dive site is not in a national park or anything like that. The dive site is off the coast of Water Island which is right next to Hassel Island which IS protected by the Virgin Islands National Park. Unfortunately the borders of protection don't stretch to Water Island. :( The operation has only been around since last May so I doubt that any of the protectors of the reef are aware of what's going on down there. That's why I'm being the one to bring it to their attention. :) I'm also bringing the safety hazards to the attention of the people who should know about that. IE: The Coast Guard, Department of Transportation, Maritime Administration, OSHA, etc.

What you mentioned about the single diver accompanying you on a dive, taking notes and such is exactly what I would like to happen with this operation. I would like for someone to send someone as a customer to dive the site and see all of this for himself. It's not hard to see these things, the safety hazards and environmental concerns, they are right out in the open. I sent that letter to the owner yesterday so we'll see what happens there. I'll keep everyone informed. :)

NatureDiver once bubbled...

What you mentioned about the single diver accompanying you on a dive, taking notes and such is exactly what I would like to happen with this operation. I would like for someone to send someone as a customer to dive the site and see all of this for himself. It's not hard to see these things, the safety hazards and environmental concerns, they are right out in the open. I sent that letter to the owner yesterday so we'll see what happens there. I'll keep everyone informed. :)

Good luck then. The more people like you who recognize the problems and become proactive, the better things will be for our environment.

John F.

Nature diver,

I jum,ped in kinda late on this one. Congrats on your innitiative. I too am appauled by the practices of many operators, regarding the environment.

Looking at your original post, I have a few questions.

Am I to understand that PADI DMs are leading these " Bobs Scooters" excurtions, for lack of a better term?

If so, are the participants certified SCUBA divers?

A PADI DM is not certified (or insured) for this. an instructor's (or DM) insurance policy is very specific about what it covers. Even if the participant is open water certified, a dm could be at risk by taking them in an overhead environment, not to mention the use of scooters without proper training. If there is an incident, it is the DM (instructor) who is at risk and left holding the bag (body bag), not necessarily dear ol Bob.

If PADI release forms are being used for these excursions, you have a strong complaint for the PADI quality assurance department. Every professional diver on the boat is at risk. Remember also that as a PADI pro, you are technically "required" to report standards violations that you observe. It's a nasty legal net here. Immagine an incident occuring (after you left), then YOU getting sued because you failed to report it. Sounds far fetched, but you know today's legal BS. You are wise to report it (pat on back):)

Another angle: as an employer is Bob asking DMs to do something that puts them at risk of physical injury? I mean, have the DMs been properly trained in the safe use of these devises? Crashing into things or a rapid ascent are just a couple of hazzards.

One more thing. If Bob IS insured to practice these excurtions, no doubt a picture(or video) of a nonsecured tank boucing around (or falling down) on the boat could be sent to his insurance carrier. Once the insurance carrier has been informed of such unsafe conditions, they are in the liability loop for sure. I would think that once informed, if they do nothing, that could be percieved as "condoning the practice".

Best of luck,

Andrew

NatureDiver,

I hope you don't take my spin on this as condiscending. I wanted to give my opinion on how I would change your letter, but my opinion sounded ever more patronizing. So, I thought I would just let you see how I would write it. Again, please don't take this wrong, I liked your letter.

That said, if you are planning any legal action against this operation, you will want to get your counsel's advice about sending this before you do.

Here goes:

*****start********
Dive Operation Name
Dive Operation Address

Date

Greetings Joe,

Thought I would contact you to check and see how things were going with your business. I wanted to thank you for the opportunity to work with you and your team, I really enjoyed it. Before leaving there was something I wanted to discuss with you, but did not get the chance. It is important to me, as I thought it would be to you, so I thought I would write this letter.

As fun as the BOBs are, and as much fun as being part of the opertion was, I noticed that the BOBs cause a lot of damage. When conditions are good, the 230lb apparatice can be controlled fairly well. On a bad day with heavy current they are difficult, even for experienced navigators. Here are some examples of what I experienced:

Most noticable is a large brain coral just inside the entrance to the canyon. It's position made it an easy target even in the best of conditions. It is dead now and the trama it suffered is obviously caused by damage from repeated collisions from the BOBs.

I remember one day when the current was so strong at the entrance to the canyon that one of the BOBs was carried about 50 feet to the left into the middle of the coral field. It left a path of crushed coral behind it. The floor of the canyon is littered with broken coral from similar incidents.

<<Another example???>>>

I felt strongly about writing as you may be unaware of the situation. During my tenure there I noticed you did not get many chances, if any, to experience this first hand as you are so busy running and managing the operation, it's customers and crew. I was hoping this would inspire you to visit this site on your own and see the effects these visitors are having on the habitat. I have learned in my travels and diving experience most people enjoy learning about and helping preserve the environment. I think it would be profittable to let your future clientele witness the restoration of this reef that you are leading and possibly more proactive work in that arena.

I look foward to your response and would love to stay in touch to follow the progress of your efforts.

Sincerely,

Colin Lemon

cc

Excuse poor spelling and grammar, never my strong suit.

Let me know what you think.

You did that much better than I did. :) I liked your version a lot more than mine. I sent it already but thanks very much for your input, I appreciate it. Any help I can get from my fellow divers and posters is always appreciated. Let me ask you though, did you find any part of my letter insulting or anything of that nature? I don't see anything like that but another opinion is always good. Thanks again.

By the way o2scuba.....his name is Joe...the vehicles are BOBs.
:)

Naturediver,

There was nothing wrong w/ your letter and nothing offensive. I just thought a little more stroking his ego and stating that he "may not know" instead of "I'm sure you don't know" gives him less of an out. Also thought suggesting rebuilding the reef would be good.

But what you sent is fine and definately gets the point across. Congrats for having the nerve to do so. Keep me posted on your progress.

Dive safe, dive often.

USMC Diver once bubbled...
It would be quicker then having a month long discussion about what you are going to do. DO SOMETHING. :upset: :upset: :upset:

Easy there USMC. Naturediver HAS done something, posted here. Any of us could run w/ it, including yourself. Naturediver is only 20, and at that age I don't even think I would have had the nerve to send the letter he just did.

Take it easy, try to help....not discourage.

Dive safe, dive often.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom