What should I have done?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rjack321:
I'll answer for TS&M since she's in MX. She is trying to finish rec-triox for local deeper diving. And take Cave1 next year.

BTW
I'm still curious about your GUE training Sunnyboy. What classes, when, and with whom? Your opinions are unique.

Yea, that's me. *unique*. I beleive they broke the mold, THEN they made me! ;-)

-S

sunnyboy:
Yes, the "divers unprepared for Tech 1" was the reason I heard for making it a cert card as well. It happened within a year or so of my fundies, if I remember correctly.

I took fundies a couple of years ago. Won't name the instructors. Lots of other stuff was happening that may have contributed to the way things went. The instructors were fully GUE certified, and the course was taught to all GUE standards of the time, according to all sources. I just don't think the format was all that suitable to the goals of the course, but that is simply my opinion.

AND - I will freely admit that my own diving skills were HORRIBLE. I got a provisional and certainly deserved it. I have kept up my practice, but did not bother to re-take fundies as I have no immediate interest in Cave or Tech. My dives involve taking pictures of octopus and wolf eels at 100ft or less. I'm having too much fun diving these days.

-S

Sounds like you had a bad experience. But I'm glad you got something out of it in the end.

I agree there's definately an element of practice, practice, practice which can eclipse actually using your skills in the real world to have more fun.

On the other hand, as we are enjoying in Mexico, having good skills makes diving less stressful and much more fun. From the buoyancy control and non-silting kicks that allowed us to have four mind-blowing experiences in the cenotes, to the situational awareness to keep teams together in blowing current, to the practice that's allowed us to do minimum deco ascents with good positioning and good accuracy, even at night . . . Even here, where we are diving purely "for fun", the education we've had and practice we've put in has simply made everything go smoothly and without any stress.

TSandM:
On the other hand, as we are enjoying in Mexico, having good skills makes diving less stressful and much more fun. From the buoyancy control and non-silting kicks that allowed us to have four mind-blowing experiences in the cenotes, to the situational awareness to keep teams together in blowing current, to the practice that's allowed us to do minimum deco ascents with good positioning and good accuracy, even at night . . . Even here, where we are diving purely "for fun", the education we've had and practice we've put in has simply made everything go smoothly and without any stress.

Just rub it in why don't you! I'll give you the salt. Be sure to thoroughly rub it in the wound. :D

TSandM:
From the buoyancy control and non-silting kicks that allowed us to have four mind-blowing experiences in the cenotes, to the situational awareness to keep teams together in blowing current, to the practice that's allowed us to do minimum deco ascents with good positioning and good accuracy, even at night . . .

Common theme this evening:

:mooner: :mooner: :mooner: :mooner: :mooner: :mooner: :mooner: :mooner: :mooner: :mooner: :mooner: :mooner: :mooner: :mooner: :mooner:

(I've learned that SB only allows 15 images, otherwise the mooners would continue)

The cenotes are 75, and when I come back, I'll bring my dry suit. A 3 mil wet suit is NOT enough!

TSandM:
The cenotes are 75, and when I come back, I'll bring my dry suit. A 3 mil wet suit is NOT enough!

Heh, I learned that the hard way in HI (79F) from now on unless the water is as hot as a shower/hot tub, it's diving dry all the way for me.

The cenotes are *very* comfortable in a d/suit with 200G thinsulate :)

limeyx:
Heh, I learned that the hard way in HI (79F) from now on unless the water is as hot as a shower/hot tub, it's diving dry all the way for me.

Man, I'm wondering if I should just take my dry suit to Hawaii with me in April . . .

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom