What should I look for when buying a wetsuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Alexrey

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey guys, I've been wanting to buy a wetsuit but don't know what I should get since there are so many different types and brands. The water that I dive in is really unpredictable and a lot of the time there's an east wind blowing which makes the water pretty damn cold even in summer. So I was wondering if you could help me decide.

What I'm looking for is something that'll keep me warm in cold water and is very comfortable for scuba and freediving. One of my friends uses a wetsuit called "Cressi Competition" for spear fishing which he loves. When the water warms up a bit he actually starts overheating because the suits insulation is so damn good, and he says it's so damn comfortable. Sadly those suits are kinda difficult to find.

So, do any of you have some suggestions? :)

This is what I do: I own a farmer john style wetsuit ( Henderson USA - Detail ) with a separate long sleeve top ( Henderson USA - Detail ) and a hooded vest ( Henderson USA - Detail ).

When it's really cold, I can put on all three and be very well insulated. A little warmer and I don't wear the hooded vested. Even warmer and I don't wear the farmer john bottom, and just wear the top half.

I hope this helps.

Thanks cflJason, that sounds like a good plan, but how much would it cost?

I read an article about different stitch types, but I think it was a little outdated. What would you guys say is the best stitch type for warmth and durablilty? I don't want my suit to come apart a few months down the line.

Thanks cflJason, that sounds like a good plan, but how much would it cost?

I read an article about different stitch types, but I think it was a little outdated. What would you guys say is the best stitch type for warmth and durablilty? I don't want my suit to come apart a few months down the line.

Basically, buy a brand name suit. If the price seems to good to be true, it probably is. You want to research the places you can buy from and get an idea on price. For a decent 7mm suit here in the US I would say between 250 and 350 dollars.

Make sure the seams are double stitched and glued. Stretchy material is more comfortable to wear, easier to put on, but less warm at depth.

Bottom line though, buy a quality name brand suit, take care of it, have it professionaly repaired when needed, and it will last you for years. I have a Bare Supra 7mm FJ, 11 years old and still keeps me warm down to 40F...

IMO there's only one criterium.

Best possible fit.
Any suit will do as long as it fits.
You can buy a $1000 suit, but when the fit is poor,you'll get cold.
Buy a cheaper one with a perfect fit and you'll love it.

The links I have above are Henderson's cheapest line. I think their H2 is more expensive. The dive shop I teach through exclusively sells Henderson and we haven't had any trouble with the seems. I am sure there are a lot of others that have good seems as well.

MSRP on the above you're probably looking at about $500 U.S. for 3mm. As you get thicker (5 or 7mm) it gets more expensive. I don't have the Henderson pricing in front of me. Keep in mind that you can probably find a standard neoprene suit cheaper than that. You can do some online searching to get an idea.

Greetings Alexrey! As others have already mentioned fit is very critical in any suit! It make or break when talking about thermal protection. Water transfer is the issue since if the suit fits well / seals properly the trapped water is what warms up.
I really love the Pinnacle suits for a few reasons.
There size chart really covers a wide variety of body shapes and styles. Thus helping fit most anyone.
The suits are very comfortable but I would recommend trying them on to make sure. I am a believer in try before you buy!
I like the merino wool it is very warm! I wear a merino 5/3mm hooded vest with a 7mm Elastiprene merino, it is comfortable in the above 45Žº range and I take the vest off when temperature rises. I find the suit to be to warm in 70Žº if not diving below 60 feet. But keep in mind everyone has different thermal exposure limits.
As far as durability I have about 125+ dives on it and the only issues are both my fault.
A puncture from squeezing into a wreck, and a eager restroom call forced a small seal rip in the leg seal from a abusive, abrupt exit!
Zippers look great, I love the merino it is worth the extra $$.
They are not the cheapest suits out there but well worth it in my opinion. I have seen some really incredible deals on-line as well as from my local dive shop.
Good luck in your search, there are a lot of quality suits out there and if possible try them on before you buy one. Find a trust worthy shop or take your buddy along to ensure proper fit. Possibly consider renting different brands / styles till you find what works best for you!
Welcome to the diving world! Take your time training and practice skills every dive!
CamG Keep diving....keep training....keep learning!

I would have to say thickness. Anything thicker than a 5mm is just not comfortable to put on nor to wear.

If you need more than 5mms then I would suggest a drysuit instead.

Rent a 5mm suit and use it locally to see how you like it. If it works for you, then buy one.

If you still feel cold, then jump to a drysuit instead.

I think Mres still do a two suit set - a 5mm long arms and legs plus a 5mm shortie which can be worn over the top of the full suit. Usually includes a hood. In the UK they retail for about GBP200 or about USD300. I agree with a previous post - good fit is vital and if you need more than this then look at a dry suit. I'm even using a dry suit at the moment in the Red Sea where the water is still 23 deg C but the wind is cold so they are very adaptable. Do check out the best dry suit for you - I like neoprene but others like trilaminate/membrane. Again fit and comfort are vital.
Hope this is useful.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom