What should one do in this situation?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would have done that as well <and more>
We need more of you. There was one dude in Sharm el that looked like he was having a seizure the whole time he dove.....thrashing about the coral like a spaz...no bouyancy or idea of what he was doing. During the surface interval, I let the DM know what the sitaution was because he was ahead of everyone the whole dive and not paying attention. At least he stuck to him for the next dive <his buddy was no better>

You can be my wing man any time, Maverick !

Great job! ... and as someone else pointed out earlier, you did most likely prevent further proof of Darwin's theory. :wink:

Alex

P.S. apologies for the Top Gun quote, flipping through chanels last night caught a glimse of that scene on TV. :rofl3:

taliesin58:
...I will be doing much more diving on vacations with dive buddies I don't know, so I have a feeling I will run into more people like this. So, I want to know for future reference.

OK, now think about the "buddy" system. What would you do if you had to rely on one of these idiots in an emergency? I think this is why some people get into solo diving, and why some people consider every dive a solo dive even if they're with a "buddy". My plan is to build my skills and configure my gear so that I'm ready to go solo at any time, even if I'm never alone. I understand that includes rescue diver training. I applaud your concern and effort to help that other guy, but I hope you never put yourself at risk to save a candidate for the Darwin awards. Basically though, you should be proud of yourself.

Thanks for the support and advice.
To be honest, I made a mistake that dive, too. It was my first time using a 15L tank (this was due to a terrible dive operation) and I didn't get a chance to do a bouyancy check with it, yet. I was grossly overweighted and ended up fin blasting the coral once to prevent from landing on it. However, the extra weight made it easier for me to grab and hold down the guy when he started to rocket up.
I also use way too much air. I have large lungs because I am a big guy (6'4") and have played the saxophone for the past 11 years. So, I still need to get some of my basic skills further undercontrol.

I have always been an avid naturalist (someone interested in nature, not someone who runs around a special community naked) and extremely concerned with safety (I go over emergency procedures and equipment checks on almost an OCD level. I was the only one in the group besides the DM with a sausage, whistle, mirror, and strobe), so the reckless and disregard for the enviroment just really really got to me. Also, I didn't mention before, the two guys were also swimming out of sight of the group and i got kicked in the face several times (had my mask flooded and my reg knocked out one time). I was furious. I was also upset that I paid $100 to watch these people destroy coral and do dangerous stuff (I realize I'm not a babysitter, but I can't stand by when someone has the potential of getting seriously injured.) It not only ruined my dive, but also put a damper on the rest of my day.

As for my training, I think my instructor was very, very good considering I got the license in 4 days (and comparing it to the other people I dived with). She very concerned with safetly and "DON'T TOUCH ANYTHING!". While it would have been nice to do our open water dives by swimming around looking at the fishies, we spent the entire first two dives, most of the third, and about half of the fourth doing drills and skills practice.

As for solo, I think I will start as soon as the water gets warm enough. There is a nice beach (no waves) with a nice little bay (about 100m wide at the mouth) and a steep dropoff that bottoms out at 8m. I know it very well because I spearfish in it. The area around has tons of fishing boats around if somehow I drift out, and it has a nice little post about shoulder deep that I can attach my reel to. My super tolerant girlfriend who will sit on the beach and relax while I putter around in the water. I think it will be a nice place to practice my skills and become adept in the water. While I would prefer to have a buddy, I can't find one in my area.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not encouraging you to go solo. I'm only suggesting that we should all be self-reliant, even when diving with a buddy.

sambolino44:
Don't get me wrong. I'm not encouraging you to go solo. I'm only suggesting that we should all be self-reliant, even when diving with a buddy.

Ok, no worries. I wouldn't dream of doing anything outside of an extremely controlled area yet. It will be many years before I would think of doing that. I understand what you mean by being self-reliant.
That being said, do you think that the area sounds alright, or do you think it is a bad idea?

Become a better diver and make those Insta-buddies do what you want/need them to do for you.
Take charge.

I would add a couple of things (or expound on)
1) Be sure the diver knows and approves of someone changing their gear config u/w. The surface interval might be a better opportunity to introduce the divers to a change of habits.
2) Rescue diver class-take it, you'll know what and how to deal with some of the problems you're likely to see in your diving.

On behalf of the hurted sea creatures and the poor divers who will have/had your bad luck to dive with such buddies or divemasters : THANKS A LOT . And i hope they did/will do like you

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom