What should or should not bring?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RoatanMan:
Aluminum 90's. On average, most divers would be clueless with a steel tank's bouyancy characteristics. They are rarely rented to the casual diver such as found in the Caribbean live aboards.

Many Nekton guests get all flustered when they see their tanks are not inflated to 3200 p.s.i. as they may be used to. After they do the math, they know their bottom time is about the same and need for lead is reduced.

Once again, I add- I have done the Nekton several times, doing 5x a day, well within ND limits using air. But I am the king of cheapskates.

I love steel tanks and I dive with them regularly here in Missouri. But of course, that's another thread! Leaving for the Bahamas tomorrow for a live-aboard trip.

This is probably more info than you need: I was on Nelton Pilot in Belize last November. Nektons are stable (due to twin hulls) and our vessel sways sideways in swells, which is different from typical boats. In my opinion, the facilities and service is on par with Peter Hughes and Aggressor, so you don't need to bring anything you don't need to a typical liveaboard. Bring a change of clothes in between dives, and PJ if you chill easily as their room a/c is pretty strong. The Pilot wasn't filled to capacity with divers on my trip, so we each got a room per diver. We dove Steel 95's and hard weights were provided (don't recall they had soft weights). I requested and paid for nitrox but it was unavailable (broken compressor) and they refunded the money during the trip. They had separate towels for the deck and rooms - those for deck were preheated, very nice especially after a long dive. Your gear sits on the rear dive deck that is elevated when the vessel is underway. There are 2 benches for photographic equipment. They have a competition for best uw digital photo for each trip, so bring your digital camera. They don't provide alcohol, but you can bring yours or they can take you to liquor shop before boarding on Day 1.
Enjoy your trip and dive safely.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom