What size Pony do you prefer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Northeastwrecks once bubbled...
I always enjoy reading posts about using a 13 - 19 cu. ft. as an emergency bailout.

Its real simple: "Use it and create an emergency"

We're not talking about getting by on the minimum that you can possibly use to get to the surface, without safety stops and without returing to the upline.

A proper bailout plan should assume a couple of minutes to identify the problem, a couple more to try to rectify it while using the pony, more time to return to the upline with your buddies and enough time to make a proper ascent with safety stops.

All while breathing more heavily than usual because you are in the middle of a crisis.

Personally, I'd rather have the extra gas and not need it than need it and not have it.

If you search on the threads, you'll find a few posts calculating ascents from 120 fsw using pony's. The math is not pretty.

North east here let me post some of the math, but im going to change the depth to 130 for more even multiplication

General numbers for caluclations

Stressed SAC rate of 1.0 CFM
130 feet = 5 ata

say 2-4 minutes at 130 to figure out whats going on so and stop it or fix it 10 - 20 ft3

acent to saftey stop doing 30 fpm travel time so travel time is 4.5 mins so for gas useage will ~10 -15 ft3

and then saftey stop for 5 minutes to be safe is ~7.5 ft3

so total gas useage is 27.5 - 42.5 so really a 40 is needed if you(rough estimate) want to most certain and following that bailout at those consump[tion rates

northeast please correct me if my math is wrong

Oh, I thought this would be a thread about the kind of pony that eats carrots. I love those!

Carry on. :dance:

SueMermaid once bubbled...
Oh, I thought this would be a thread about the kind of pony that eats carrots. I love those!
How would you take your pony diving? I suspect they’re too big to stage sling!

Scubatooth, can you redo the calculations to let SueMermaid know how big a pony she needs for her pony?

Oh, this is so exciting, I've always wanted a pony. :D

Scubatooth once bubbled...

North east here let me post some of the math, but im going to change the depth to 130 for more even multiplication

General numbers for caluclations

Stressed SAC rate of 1.0 CFM
130 feet = 5 ata

say 2-4 minutes at 130 to figure out whats going on so and stop it or fix it 10 - 20 ft3

acent to saftey stop doing 30 fpm travel time so travel time is 4.5 mins so for gas useage will ~10 -15 ft3

and then saftey stop for 5 minutes to be safe is ~7.5 ft3

so total gas useage is 27.5 - 42.5 so really a 40 is needed if you(rough estimate) want to most certain and following that bailout at those consump[tion rates

northeast please correct me if my math is wrong

Without redoing the numbers, that looks about right.

I dive as a DM on one of the local boats. When I do, its my job to set the hook and get the divers in and out. I add some time for that as well. Obviously, I'd leave the hook if there was a real problem, but I can't leave the divers.

Now I just do the whole thing in doubles.

BTW, if you search, you'll find that O-Ring had a lengthy discussion of the proper way to clip off a dog. I pony (the kind that eats carrots) would probably require one of those 70 lb wings and a bunch of cave line, but you could probably to it. Remember that balance is important or you'll go to one side.

For that reason, I'd advocate a team of ponies instead.

Clip them off TDI style. If you're on a BP&W from Halcyon, you'll need some triglides and D-Rings to handle the right side attachment.

Thanks for the mention...I still say ponies are for riding and making glue out of, but do what you guys want..

Are you crazy. Who hangs around at 130 when you are out of air.I didn't whe I had a gas emergeny. Went to alternate, and headed home.

in the middle of a crisis.

Its not the end of the world. Usually you will feel the reg getting tight befor it is spent. Plenty of time to get your wits about you and make a controlled ascent. If for some reason the thing fails, then sure an increse in breathing rate is expected. This isn't "OH MY GOD MY AIR IS GONE WHAT THE HELL DO I DO, I'M GOING TO DIIIIIEEEE, MOM I'M SORRY FOR DOING THIS STUPID DIVING THING, HONEY I LOVE YOU....." I wouldn't be diving if this was a reaction that I expected of my self.

Your senarios are a little dramatic.:rolleyes:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom