What size Pony do you prefer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Its nice to know that such an experienced diver (boy, you didn't have those credentials when you were Useless Usil), blew to the surface after you RAN OUT OF AIR.

To the extent that ponies have a purpose, it is to provide a backup for equipment failures and unexpected circumstances. They are not intended to compensate for poor skills that allow you to RUN OUT OF AIR because you're too stupid to monitor an SPG or track your consumption.

If I have a problem, I try to fix it. I don't blow and go. No decent diver should. For you, however, its probably a viable option.

Assume that you are well away from the upline. Why would you want to do a direct ascent or deploy a bag when a little skill and planning can result in a proper termination.

faye once bubbled...
Are you crazy. Who hangs around at 130 when you are out of air.I didn't whe I had a gas emergeny. Went to alternate, and headed home.

That’s not what we’re talking about. If you’re out of air at 130 fsw you will probably end up dead or injured. The subject is what size pony to use, if you have a pony, you’re not out of air. Looking back to basic OW training; breath, think, breath, form a plan, breath, execute the plan. That’s going to take some amount of time at depth. IMO part of the exercise of sizing a pony is to understand this and allow for it in your pony’s air volume.

faye once bubbled...
Usually you will feel the reg getting tight befor it is spent. Plenty of time to get your wits about you and make a controlled ascent.

What Northeastwreks said! Although I would add for the benefit of others; this sounds like you simply ran out of air because you weren’t paying attention. This is not the purpose of a pony “bailout” bottle, this is an example of piss poor air management. The purpose of a bailout bottle is for equipment failure or other unpredictable and therefore unforeseen circumstances such as a hose failure or free flowing regulator.

Mike

Faye:

While you were blowing and going, what was your buddy doing?

You must not do any deco diving. Pull that on a deco and you might win an all expenses paid ride in the air ambulance.

If I have a problem, I try to fix it. I don't blow and go. No decent diver should. For you, however, its probably a viable option

So if you have an out off air emergency, you go to your alternate, buddys or bottle, and what...stay on the bottom to figure out why you are out of air???? Don't make sense to me. I get on the alternate and make my way home.

Its nice to know that such an experienced diver (boy, you didn't have those credentials when you were Useless Usil), blew to the surface after you RAN OUT OF AIR.

My credentials are of no matter. And yes they were there in some way or another. anyway. The reason for my unexpected OOA situation was due to a set of rental regs. On my first dive with them,I was down below and the SPG said I was good, then the reg got tight. I signaled my buddy and I got his backup and was off to the line and to the surface. This happened very shortly after I was first certified. Taught me some respect for the water. Never rented gear again.

No I like to dive with a pony. I can take care of myself, signal my buddy and be off.

You must not do any deco diving. Pull that on a deco and you might win an all expenses paid ride in the air ambulance.

Don't lecture me about diving, volenteer info but don't lecture. Any one who says I have to do anything dosn't get listened to.

The purpose of a bailout bottle is for equipment failure or other unpredictable and therefore unforeseen circumstances such as a hose failure or free flowing regulator.

Don't make assumptions without the true story. I have made my point.

13-19cft bottle, won't leave home without it.

faye once bubbled...

I dove with a 19 for about 70 dives or so. However as I started to get deeper and longer, I decided the 19 just might not cut it. I did out the numbers again and again, and they all told me it was possible to surface.

This off season I upgraded from a 19 to a 40. Granted, I probably won't be taking the 40 on < 60 ft dives, but I can always steal the 19 back from my friend for those.

The way I see it, You're not going to take a 19 as a deco bottle are you? Are you planning on heading in that direction?

My answers to those questions are no and yes.

So why not use a 40 as a bailout bottle, and then that's one less thing on the learning curve when moving to staged decompression diving.

At least that is what I decided for myself.

faye once bubbled...
So if you have an out off air emergency, you go to your alternate, buddys or bottle, and what...stay on the bottom to figure out why you are out of air???? Don't make sense to me. I get on the alternate and make my way home.

I don't have out of air emergencies. If I have an equipment failure, I'm trained to deal with it. I also practice those skills, along with my regular buddies. Of course, I'm lucky because people will dive with me. You, on the other hand....

Regardless, properly trained divers don't run out of air. They monitor and maintain their equipment. Thus, if there is a problem, they can identify it and deal with it. That's also part of proper training.

Blow and go is always inappropriate.

My credentials are of no matter. And yes they were there in some way or another. anyway. The reason for my unexpected OOA situation was due to a set of rental regs. On my first dive with them,I was down below and the SPG said I was good, then the reg got tight. I signaled my buddy and I got his backup and was off to the line and to the surface. This happened very shortly after I was first certified. Taught me some respect for the water. Never rented gear again.

As I said earlier, you ran out of air. That's poor gas management. You should be able to estimate your gas consumption without an SPG. It sounds like your dive plan was along the lines of "I'll stay down until this thing in my mouth stops working, then go up".

No I like to dive with a pony. I can take care of myself, signal my buddy and be off.

So you ABANDON YOUR BUDDY when something goes wrong. Enough said.

Don't lecture me about diving, volenteer info but don't lecture. Any one who says I have to do anything dosn't get listened to.

Actually, that was meant as a question. I'm supposing that your skill set doesn't support decompression diving.

Regardless I don't volenteer. I volunteer. Also, learn the difference between "Any one" and "Anyone". And I won't even comment upon ending a sentence with "listened to".

Yes, so long as your point was to say that you use your buddy's gas supply long enough to abandon him because you are flat out the most dangerous, unskilled, foolhardy and generally incompetant diver I've ever run into. Your post suggest a lack of skills that boggles the mind. Statistically, you'd actually have a better chance of taking the correct action if you tried random acts to see what worked than you do of diving correctly.

The question isn't whether you'll leave home, the question is whether you'll come back.

Another thought came to me. If you're such a big deal tekkie, why are you diving with a pony instead of being properly outfitted with doubles?

All this aside, I strongly encourage YOU to continue diving with a pony. Or better yet, a spare air.

faye once bubbled...

I'm glad that you're learning even if it's only to change/make up your story as you go along.

faye once bubbled...
I can take care of myself, signal my buddy and be off.

Well at least now you're signaling your buddy before you head home. You might want to take a moment longer and figure out what the problem is and how it will effect you. For instance, if your primary SCUBA is out of air, you will have to manually add air to you're bladder when you reach the surface. For whatever it's worth I think it's a good idea to take a moment and sort these things out before starting an ascent.

While in a perverse sort of way it's been fun debating this with you I have to go pack now to actually go diving.

Mike

If you're such a big deal tekkie, why are you diving with a pony instead of being properly outfitted with doubles?

I never said I was a big tekkie. Just getting into it, slowly. It is also hard to travel with doubles! Finding a buddy in a new town can be hard. Thats why I like the pony. Don't know who you can trust.

Properly trained divers don't run out of air. They monitor and maintain their equipment. Thus, if there is a problem, they can identify it and deal with it. That's also part of proper training.

Yes I agree. That is why I no longer use rental kit. Hard lesson to learn.

Yes, so long as your point was to say that you use your buddy's gas supply long enough to abandon him because you are flat out the most dangerous, unskilled, foolhardy and flat out incompetant diver I've ever run into. Your post suggest a lack of skills that boggles the mind

Please entertain me with the thingas that you think I have said that qualify me as the above. If you need further information I can provide it to you if you wish. Why am I unskilled. You know nothing of my skill level. Foolhardy, mabey. I don't like to buy into everything that I am told. I'll learn the right way through slow trial and error. Experience is the only teacher. Guidance from more experienced divers is valued by me but not taken as gospel. I hear what instructors have to say and then figure out if I agree with them on my own. Too many people in my opinion read it then beleive it. There are alterior motives behind everything. I feel that alot of trainning is a big marketing ploy which instills faith in the agency. Making the new diver dependent on said agency. There is really no interest in how you dive as long as you dive. Give them money, you know, the whole capatalist thing. Incompetant, I don't think I am. I may be diving in a strange way to you, but I know my limitations, I have experienced them and I have learned from them. I still have VERY far to go. You'll have to dive with me, or watch me dive to figure that out for yourself. But please don't insult me. I have said nothing defamitory about your diving choices

So you ABANDON YOUR BUDDY when something goes wrong

I never said that. I meant that we would surface together with me on my pony. I agree was unclear in my post.

You should be able to estimate your gas consumption without an SPG. It sounds like your dive plan was along the lines of "I'll stay down until this thing in my mouth stops working, then go up".

Yes. I agree. That is why I have a problem with the way divers are trainned nowadays, including my preliminary teaching. I was traveling in australia when I got the itch to learn to dive. I didn't know squat. I learned the hard way. I don't recall going over SAC and RMV in basic open water. I WAS a danger to myself at that point, along with many other divers who have had the same trainning as I.

As for my language skills. They are pretty poor. My mother reminds me of this often. All I can say is that I learnt on the whole languge system. A system that is responsible for alot of poor english skills in my generation.

Cam

Why did you violate the TOS and return under a new name after being banned?

WW

faye once bubbled...

As for my language skills. They are pretty poor. My mother reminds me of this often. All I can say is that I learnt on the whole languge system. A system that is responsible for alot of poor english skills in my generation.

Cam

What do you mean, "the whole language system"?

I'm your generation, and my language skills are fine. The language skills of virtually all of my friends vastly exceed yours.

How do you get by without being able to write in remotely correct English?

Some people learn to swim better in order to dive. Perhaps you should spend a *little* bit of time on grammar, punctuation, and spelling?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom