What size pony would you carry?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divnamite

Reaction score
Fromr eading previous posts, it got me thinking. What size of pony would you or I pick? I always under the assumption that a 30 should be more than enough to get you to the surface safely even from a depth of 130 - 150. However, if I'm diving in 45 - 55 cold water, maybe 40 gives more room?

So, what tank do you guys carry?

There are many issues that come into play when selecting any tank....from back to pony to deco. When I dive recreational or sport single tank...I many times will sling an Al19,,,its a good pick,,,,right size and plenty of gas delivery.....though in your chilly conditions another good pick is a 30cf.. Outside of a catastrophic epmt. failure or serious entanglement, no excuse for a diver to go into an OOA situation. Always be aware of your gas.....be proactive and not reactive! :)

divnamite:
Fromr eading previous posts, it got me thinking. What size of pony would you or I pick? I always under the assumption that a 30 should be more than enough to get you to the surface safely even from a depth of 130 - 150. However, if I'm diving in 45 - 55 cold water, maybe 40 gives more room?

So, what tank do you guys carry?

I carry a 30cu.ft.

texdiveguy:
There are many issues that come into play when selecting any tank....from back to pony to deco. When I dive recreational or sport single tank...I many times will sling an Al19,,,its a good pick,,,,right size and plenty of gas delivery.....though in your chilly conditions another good pick is a 30cf.. Outside of a catastrophic epmt. failure or serious entanglement, no excuse for a diver to go into an OOA situation. Always be aware of your gas.....be proactive and not reactive! :)

I don't think pony is just for OOA. If your reg failed on your main tank, having a pony will help you get to the top safely. I'm not talking about tech diving here, so no deco requirement, just the basic 15 ft stop. One of the problem diving in NY/NJ area, wrecks are all deep, and all boat operators require redundant air supply. When I did my deep dive class, the pony was 30.

When I buy mine I'm going to get a al40 just because the price and size, is very similar to a al30, and if you've had a failure you want to be sure to have enuff margin to have time for your safty stops. And since often the price difernce is 10 to 15 bucks what the heck. you can never have to much air in reserve. (Well with in reason a 120 pony might be overkill :) )

divnamite:
I don't think pony is just for OOA. If your reg failed on your main tank, having a pony will help you get to the top safely. I'm not talking about tech diving here, so no deco requirement, just the basic 15 ft stop. One of the problem diving in NY/NJ area, wrecks are all deep, and all boat operators require redundant air supply. When I did my deep dive class, the pony was 30.

That is just what an OOA situation is---Out Of Air...... it can be by a number of epmt. failures and (of course other diver issues)---tank to valve o-ring,,1st. or 2nd. stage failure,,cut hose,,,,you are still out of air at some point in the u/w situation. The key to diving anywhere is proper planning of the dive and following your plan,,,whether sport or tech. I fully agree to the charter operators in redn. air supply for your dive setting. You noted 150' dives,,wrecks....I bet additonal training is in your plans for the future. If you did well in training on a 30cf...that would probably be a good pick. I have plans and a deposit to dive the Doria next summer off NJ!!

In most shops a 30 and 40 will cost the same,,,,it does to the shop! And remember even in diving, bigger is not always better.

I don't think I can plan for OOA. While I'm one of those people that pay annual service fee to my LDS, equipment failure is a real possibility. I certainly don't want anything more than 40, that's like diving double.

divnamite:
I don't think I can plan for OOA. While I'm one of those people that pay annual service fee to my LDS, equipment failure is a real possibility. I certainly don't want anything more than 40, that's like diving double.

I lost you on, "I don't think I can plan for OOA." I am not understanding that satement??
A 30cf. would be plenty of emg. reserve gas.
:)

Back
Top Bottom