What size wing is this guy wearing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can tell you that I wasn't crazy about any of the Yugos I've dived. Not that they aren't any good... It's just that I liked the fit and finish, not to mention built-in hard plate and ready-to-goedness of the Scubapro Classic. I just wasn't nuts about any of the bp/wings that I'd tried. To me, they seemed finicky and a pain to deal with in fitment and all, for little benefit. I made the judgement call that it wasn't worth it, IMHO.

But that picture... Maaaan... That's sweet as hell. Look at how streamlined that guy is...

I said before that "I couldn't care less" about some of the features and benefits that I'd found on most BC. I said that I'd learned very quickly to COPE, and that I could pretty much dive ha Hefty bag and a cinder block around one ankle without much difficulty.

I've been waiting for something, somewhere, to grab me and really keep my attention. Something BETTER. Anything BETTER.

This may be it...

Man, I wonder how that thing dives... Bet it's nice... And I'm confident that I could trim that neutral, so my attitude in the water would be whatever I chose...

Bet THAT would feel trimmer in the water. I can tell you that I couldn't find much difference between BC's like the Scubapro Classic, the SeaQuest Pro QD, the Zeagle Ranger series, and many others and the bp/wings that I tried... Other than the fact that now the bladder was behind me now instead of around me. I never found it terribly intrusive int he first place, wrapped around me, but arguably it was a little more out of the way behind me. I didn't find any difference with streamlining; either the bladder was around me or behind me... Not much difference. And for the extra pain it was to trim properly, it didn't seem worth the hassle.

But that picture's a completely different story. Makes me wonder what that would have dived like in that 3 knot current on my last dive.

I still don't think I'd do a 7 foot hose on a reef dive... But I don't think I'd dive a cave without it...

But that rig...

Am I being assimilated? :D

scubanole once bubbled...
Uncle Pug,

Is there a way to tell if I have the 18 or 27 lb wing.
The 18# wing is U shaped and the 27# is 0 shaped.... ie... the 27# wing is circular and air can move across the bottom as well as the top.

Uncle Pug once bubbled...

Just enamored.

You mean "enlightened," right? Not sure that I've really fallen in love with any rig...

Lol...

Argumentaive little punk, aren't I? :)

Hmmmm... Maybe on the other hand, I am seeming a little enamored with that pic... That's pretty impressive... And not at all what I dove with.

"Enamored?" "Elightened?" Who knows?

Well, it certainly is stylish and slick... I guess... first time I've ever seen that particular combo of exposure protection... what is that, farmer john bottom and hooded vest together? But the sleeveless look is quite fashionable... yes... very pretty.
Rick

Rick Murchison once bubbled...
But the sleeveless look is quite fashionable... yes... very pretty.
Anyone that's been around for awhile follow Henderson catalogs? I remember one mid-to-late 1980s woman's wetsuit that was a like a one-piece but with full-length arms and a plunging, and I do mean plunging neckline.

I never saw the point except to be a bubble bunny, which probably was the point. :)

Roak

I saw that pic shortly after completing my OW and made up my mind right then that I was going with a bp/wing (even though I didn't know that's what it was called).

That is streamlined, and I could dive it in the current 87 degree Gulf just as that guy is outfitted.

SeaJay, you already know I like my ScubaPro Classic BCD, and I'll be using it next month when you come and dive with me down here. By the way, another good analysis by you of the ScubaPro vs. BP/Wings.

If I could get a hold of the set-up in the photo I would love to try it out. With all the dive shops in the Tampa Bay area, I am going to start asking around trying to set-up a demo.

I just have a couple of questions about this set-up, and DIR in general:

1. What type of weight system is this guy using, and where is it kept; and

2. Does spearfishing, in and of itself, disqualify someone from being "DIR" with bp/wings?

SeaJay once bubbled...

Makes me wonder what that would have dived like in that 3 knot current on my last dive.

Dude, that is smokin!

Now you know what a spinner bait feels like :eek:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom