What size wing is this guy wearing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick Murchison once bubbled...
Well, it certainly is stylish and slick... I guess... first time I've ever seen that particular combo of exposure protection... what is that, farmer john bottom and hooded vest together? But the sleeveless look is quite fashionable... yes... very pretty.
Rick

I see what you're saying, but what's wrong with it? AFAIK, the head gives off more heat than any other part of your body, so it would make much more sense to wear a FJ plus hooded vest than, say, a full body suit.

Seems reasonable to me.. after all, if he's Doing It Right, wouldn't he wear the most efficient exposure protection he can? :wink:

Did anyone answer tampascott's question about what weighting the DIR diver in the sleek Halcyon BP and Pioneer 27# wings setup was using? I think the answer is <gasp!> none... probably a SS BP, but would love professional confirmation...

...especially as I just ordered this exact same setup!

PS - SeaJay, you seem to be asking a lot of BP/W questions...are you still a firm SP Classic man?

Cheers

Hmmmm.

Yeah.

Maybe.

Sometimes always.

Sure.

I've actually done so many dives with so many pieces of gear that I'm having to rethink my whole buying strategy.

You know, I like *this* about one rig, and *that* about another... The Classic's an awesome rig, that's for sure. I know there are some people say otherwise, but there are also many that agree, including Rodale's...

That said, I have liked and disliked so many different things from so many different rigs, and in the long run my body's learned to pretty much cope no matter what I wear. It's like I've stopped caring what I wear at all and am more into the dive now than ever.

But wanting to spend my dosh and buy my very own rig that's... Well... For nobody but me... I'm thinking of a new strategy for purchase. Rather than look around any more, trying to find out what on the market best suits me, I'm thinking that I'll instead make my own BCD... You know, take the very best of everything and put it all together.

I think I'm going to end up horrifying the DIR crowd. Maybe not. The clincher, of course, is that if I built my own rig from the ground up, it'd start with a backplate, and go from there. Why? Well... Because it's modular and I could build it.

So what am I talking about? FredT SS "light" for my warmwater dives, with 2" webbing in a DIR-style harness. 1" crotch strap. Lots of sewing, very little clips, rings, and stuff. Probably one or two actual usable pockets so I don't have to look like a Christmas tree any more. Haven't yet decided whether to put them on my wetsuit or on my harness, but since it's not as permanent and I don't use a canister light (not yet anyway) then I would probably opt for the Halcyon "hard" pocket on my harness. (You know, if I went that way and all.) :D I still want a Vytec, with air integration, and I do like the concept of the Air II... And I've had great experiences using one. But to be perfectly honest, if I did go the wing route then I'd be "flipping the inflator hose" instead of pulling on it (no pull dump) and so I think I'd feel better using the inflator with a seperate octo. I'd like to get into wreck diving in the not too distant future, and I think I'd end up with a rig that could handle a long primary hose, similar to DIR, in that case, but would probably not want to swim with it all the time. Oh yeah... And I told myself last time that I would not dive without ditchable weight. I can't stand weight belts, so I'm kickin' around the idea of weight pockets of some sort, tucked away in back (where the right trim is anyway.) I wouldn't wear much weight, but I'd need a little in salt water, and like I said, it has to be ditchable.

My experience is that back inflates of any kind are somewhat picky on weight placement, but I think I could trim my rig well in just a dive or two. Then it'd no longer be an issue, and I'd still have the modular rig with less on the front.

I dunno. I guess I'm just thinkin' out loud here. But I am definitely thinking about a FredT...

I'll bet you I know what happens from here... I'll bet I buy both, and wear them each during certain dives...

...Then I bet I start to favor one over the other.

I think I need a long term test with each. :D

Hey, shameless plug for the new Scuba Club that I put together here at the University of South Carolina... First meeting's on the 22nd (next Sunday) and it's looking like there's going to be thirty or fourty people there. Holy smokes!

Anyone interested in attending is more than welcome. :D We could use the expert advice, the experienced diver, and even the newbie just looking to hang out with some really cool people. The University's donated more than $3500 and thier boat for diving... Can you say, "Free dives?" I'm pumped.

I even started the website already... And yes, there's going to be a big, fat link to Scubaboard, an awesome resource for information, even if I still make fun of DIR guys.

I do feel like I'm being assimilated, though. :D Funny how that works, isn't it?

Here's the link: http://www.USCBscuba.com

superhelix once bubbled...
Did anyone answer tampascott's question about what weighting the DIR diver in the sleek Halcyon BP and Pioneer 27# wings setup was using?

No, all I got was a smart azz reply from Uncle Pug! :rolleyes:

He is not wearing any ditchable weight. The point is not so much ditchable weight, but balanced rig and the ability to be buoyant on the surface.

Even in a 5mm full suit, alum80, SS bp, I do not need to carry anymore weight, with or without a can light. In the ocean I add 4 lbs on a belt and a 1.5 lb. neg can light.

You would be surprised at how buoyant some of the bcs with straps and all can be.

Don't judge dir on equipment configurations, that is really missing the point. The config is just a part of the package.

Tommy

tampascott once bubbled...
No, all I got was a smart azz reply from Uncle Pug! :rolleyes:
What you got was a well thought out reasonable answer to your #2 question as I allowed room for others to answer #1.

But even in answering number #2 I left a hint as to the answer of #1 ~ why a DIR diver might not need as much weight as old *Pork Belly* :D

Uncle Pug once bubbled...

But even in answering number #2 I left a hint as to the answer of #1 ~ why a DIR diver might not need as much weight as old *Pork Belly* :D

Not so! It's that fresh fish that keeps me lean and less buoyant in the water.:tease:

Back
Top Bottom