What the heck is wrong with my Suunto Compasses?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey, SangP . . .

Send it to "Rainman". His head is always on a tilt, anyway . . . :D

the K-ompass Kalibrator

Why not just sell them and buy another?

Or, put a post in the forsale section looking to trade for your region? Maybe someone will be moving from your region to the U.S. and want to trade trade-in for a region 1.

- ChillyWaters

The Kraken:
Hey, SangP . . .

Send it to "Rainman". His head is always on a tilt, anyway . . . :D

the K-ompass Kalibrator

Perhaps I'll send a made for region 4 compass to him LOL!

Say, whatever happen to that plate you promised me since last year?

SangP

ChillyWaters:
Why not just sell them and buy another?

Or, put a post in the forsale section looking to trade for your region? Maybe someone will be moving from your region to the U.S. and want to trade trade-in for a region 1.

- ChillyWaters

Doubtful for a trade, but a sell then buy I can.

Watch the classifieds section folks,

SangP

Btw, now I know why u folks from region 4 and 5 dive here with your heads off to one side LOL!

SangP

SangP:
Perhaps I'll send a made for region 4 compass to him LOL!

Say, whatever happen to that plate you promised me since last year?

SangP

Still trying to figure out how to get it to ya without it costing you $250 !!!

Seriously, I think you can probably find one locally for less money. But, hey, I'm game if you are!!!

Was that steel or aluminum?

the K

The Kraken:
Still trying to figure out how to get it to ya without it costing you $250 !!!

Seriously, I think you can probably find one locally for less money. But, hey, I'm game if you are!!!

Was that steel or aluminum?

the K

:lol: You'll just being lazy, I've shipped items my jets from the us for only $25 and they weigh a heck of a lot more than the alu plate. Just kidding :D

I'm just curious bout some interesting designs and would you be willing to make a couple of plates if I send you the autocad file?

They are to be milled with 3mm alu and what grade of alu do you have access to?

Many thanks

SangP

Please pm me your email address and I'll send you the files if you are interested.

Charlie99:
The magnetic field lines are not horizontal in most places in the world. They are more or less horizontal around the magnetic equator, and approach vertical as you approach the magnetic poles.

IIRC, Suunto compensates for this and has different versions of compasses for the different areas of the world (actually for different approximate sign and magnitude of "dip").

Perhaps you have ones that are optimized for a different area. For example, a compass optimized for UK and Scandanavia would have compensation for a significant amount of dip. With the much less dip in Singapore, you would see the compasses tilted a bit.

It doesn't really affect the azimuth/direction accuracy. You just need to tilt the compass a bit.

p.s. As Kraken suggests do move them away from each other before coming to any conclusions since they will interfere with each other.
Holy macaroni :confused: I learn something new every day

Why do you need 4 compasses? (3 x Suunto + 1 x Dacor)

Back
Top Bottom