What to buy ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fat_Tony

Registered
Reaction score
Guys,

I am really new to SCUBA and I am in the process of shopping for gear. Are there brands to stay away from? Should I go with a package or build my own. I dont know enuff to know what to look out for or what to look for even any help would be great.

What is a good price range to expect to pay for head to toe gear? I have been to a number of stores and get more confused everytime I leave a store. Some packages have tanks some dont etc ...

What should I be looking for?

Thanks,

Paul

Tony,

For recommendations you are really going to have to fill in the board members on the type of diving you are going to be doing.

Canadian diving is a whole lot different than diving in say...the great state of Florida!

One of the good things about your LDS is that you may be able to try before you buy. Take a look at their rental gear and see what they have to offer.

Different gear is more comfortable for different divers. Shop around and get some pointers and also see if you can use what you may be purchasing during a few dives. It may be worth putting off that purchase for a few dives until you find something you really like.

Knavey,

99% of my diving will be done in Canada. From my experience with weight belts I think I would like a weight intergrated DCB. I have only ever used the type with wings and really had no serious problems with trim or boyancy other then needing more practice.

7MM wetsuit is a must here.

I really dont know what is considered to be quality gear. Are there companies to stay clear of for example?

My biggest concern is buying something now and a year from now regreting it cause I could have gotten a different one for little to know price difference.

Thanks,

Paul

...instead of the 7mm wet suit. For diving in Canada, you'll be happier with a dry suit for most of the year. I dive the Great Lakes, and live in Michigan and am in LOVE with my Viking Xtreme drysuit, and at a cost of less than $700 USD by getting it from Bob3 here on the board, it was only a 'little' more expensive than a good quality 7mm wet suit.

There is plenty of good equipment out there, the best information that I was given is not to shop 'low priced' gear. Buy the best you can afford and it'll last you a long time. I started out with an inexpensive BC from Sea Dog Sports in California. It worked just great, but I wanted to try a backplate system. So I bought a backplate, used on eBay and some new X-wings and am VERY happy with the rig. Because I travel with my gear a good bit, and dive in the Caribbean once or twice a year, I bought Aqua Lung regulators, as they can be repaired nearly anywhere! The rest is just rubber goods! I started with an Aeris computer on a console with a SPG and compass and found out I didn't care for the console much. So I took it apart, bought a wrist mount for the computer and the compass and have the SPG alone hanging on the end of the hose and am much happier with this.

I'm currently looking to buy some gaitors to wear with my drysuit, also on eBay.

All together, my rig is worth about $2500, plus the bag to carry it all in. This includes: Two tanks (AL80's)
Aluminum Backplate with STA
ND X-wing
Weight belt with weights and suspenders
Prescription Mask
Snorkle
Turtle Fins
Wetsuit Gloves
Snips and Knife
Computer (Aeris Pro)
Compass
Aqua Lung Titan LX Regs
Aqua Lung Lowprofile Octo
Viking Xtreme Drysuit
Softwear Undies
C6 Divelight
Some other odds and ends...

All of this has been purhased in the last 16 months or so. I started cold water diving in May of this year and got the drysuit and undies in March.

Hope this answers soem of your questions. Drop a line with specifics and I'll be happy to reply!

Oceaner 7mm one pc. with vest
Zeagle BC, weight intergated rip cord style
Aqualung or Sherwood regs

These are brand widely availible in Canada and recognized worldwide.

As was mentioned earlier, try before you buy. You could do some research on the web and in dive magazines (LDS probably has some back issues) such as Rodale's where they do some testing and rating of equipment. However, keep in mind, Rodale's does NOT test ALL scuba gear so if you see something you like but it wasn't reviewed in Rodale's, don't discount it as not being good.

You might be able to get a better price from an LDS if you buy several pieces of equipment at once which doesn't mean it all has to be the same make. If that's not possible, then think about which pieces you want first. If you do a search here, you'll see that people have different opinions on what order to buy equipment in. Personally, I would recommend the regs and BC first since they are life-supporting gear. Rental equipment is not usually top of the line stuff and can get abused by renters. I'd rather wear an abused wetsuit than use an abused set of regs!! I've had rental regs crap out on me at 80ft (twice!) which spurred me to buy my own. What's best for you might be to buy another piece first.

Decide what type of gear you'll need. Cold water? Warm water? Both? If both, you'll want regs that can withstand chilly temps which will probably have you looking at an environmental first stage. Also a thick wetsuit or possibly a drysuit. Your BC will have to have enough adjustability to work for both a wetsuit and a drysuit (be sure straps don't interfere with the drysuit air valve).

BCs come in different styles. You probably used a jacket-style in your BOW and they are just fine for many people. I have a back inflate which I love. I can't envision ever going back to a jacket style. Perhaps a backplate and wings would be your preference. Think about if you will be travelling. How compact will it get for packing in a suitcase? For the record I have a Zeagle which is very adjustable and not too bad to pack.

Take a look at what other divers are using. Ask them what the like and dislike about their gear. Keep in mind that what works for another diver, is not necessarily right for you. Fit is everything!

So, try, try, try.

Here's what I have:
regs - Oceanic Delta 3 (2nd), Delta 7(octo) w/ environmental 1st
bc - zeagle Concept II (sport - not made anymore), weight integrated - but I still use a belt
wetsuit - BARE 5/4, Atlan 6.5 (custom)
drysuit - Abyss 4mil compressed neoprene (custom)

Diverlady

I was in the same boat as you, I'm from Belleville ON BTW.

DiveSource (Whitby) - Bare 7MM 2 piece with ice boots, hood and gloves $400CAD

NorthernTechDiver (Kingston) - Halcyon 36lb Pioneer and AL80 tank. $1000CAD

LeisurePro.com (Internet) - Apeks ATX50/ATX50, Suunto Vyper Computer and OMS pressure gauge. $800USD ($1100CAD)

LDS - Assorted Items, AquaLung Blade II fins, Mask, weight belt and clips. ($300CAD)

I'm very happy with my rig.
Craig.

my best advice to you is try to find someone you know and trust to help you. if you dont know anyone in your area who is familiar with the type of diving you plan on doing try the shop. most lds's are like bars, people hang out. hang out with them and get to know them. but remember employee of the shop are usually working for the interest of the owner. im not saying they arent concerned with their customers but the reality is they will only recomend what they sell. so just keep that in the back of your mind. so i guess what im saying is get the advice of someone you know personally and trust. dont listen to people like me. except this time of course! THIS time im right... i think.

Back
Top Bottom