What to do about HORRIBLE instructor?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the advice.

I will write a letter to the agencies.

In the meantime, is there a place to write a review/rate an instructor that other potential students can read? Similar to Yelp or any of the other other online services for reviewing restaurants, hotels, etc.?

Where did you find this independant instrutor? Was he referred to you by someone?

Do the rest of the world a favor and report this instructor so they don't get swindled into a bad instructor-student relationship. Calling students "pussies" is a telltale sign of an incompetent "instructor"(he surely doesn't deserve the title), and is unacceptable in ANY class situation.

If you think he's a scubaboard member, then you should do the courtesy of allowing him to answer your allegations here. You don't have to name him, but the majority of the members here can really help provide perspective on a situation.. if they're *told* about what went on during that situation.

You shouldn't be diving with this guy again anyways, so don't worry about burning that bridge.

So, factually, what happened? We'd like to know.

I must say, I agree with some of the more skeptical posters. I'm not saying that this instructor definitely called people "pussies" in a joking manner, but it's possible. We don't know, we weren't there.

I had a fantastic ex-military instructor once that used that term in that manner... Sure, taken out of context, it's easy to make it sound bad, but that's why we are asking the OP for details. I don't think that you could make a general rule that any instructor that called a student a pussy under any circumstances is automatically disqualified from teaching. So if the OP wants sympathy, help, understanding or advice from us (and if not, why post at all?), they need to be more specific.

Same with "yelling". This is subject to interpretation. When I tell my 16 year old in a firm voice that he has crossed a line with some sort of unacceptable behavior, he immediately tells me to "stop yelling", so as to change the topic and put me on the defensive. Again, I'm not saying that happened, but the OP really doesn't give us much to comment on.

As far as the injuries, I'm not sure why the OP won't be specific about that. The devil is in the details, IMHO.

If all the OP wanted was information about how to report someone to a certifying agency, I would think that googling "PADI" or "NAUI" would be better than raising the issue in a discussion forum. And why would you write to the "agencies"? Was it NAUI or PADI?

Maybe the OP is right, maybe this instructor is dangerous. But I really wouldn't agree with that without some real information. There have been plenty of similar threads here where an OP was able to spell out exactly what happened in detail. And the more that this thread goes on without specific information from the OP, the more I start to think :troll:

I took an Open Water course with an instructor that was absolutely horrible. This person should not be teaching PERIOD. It was not safe, he was mean, offensive, demeaning, not patient, and at times not competent. These were the feelings shared by all of the students in the course. What if anything can be done? Do NAUI and PADI do anything when they get these types of complaints?

He's not required to be nice and whether or not he was "safe" can only be determined if you describe specifically what he did.

flots.

Wow. As a new diver and member here, I am a bit confused by the reactions I am getting...

1.) As I stated, I am not looking to bash him. I was only looking for advice on what can be done. Perhaps there is a central rating system just like there is for restaurants, college professors, etc. where I could rate him...

2.) I never said I was looking for "sympathy"

3.) Is it really appropriate for me to name the instructor here on the forums??? Seriously? Now if I did that I would expect some of the responses I received. Not from asking general questions while trying to do my best to protect the identity of someone that may be a member here...

Geez...

Thanks for the advice.

I will write a letter to the agencies.

In the meantime, is there a place to write a review/rate an instructor that other potential students can read? Similar to Yelp or any of the other other online services for reviewing restaurants, hotels, etc.?

Frankly there's not many places better to write a review than here.

There is more, including injuries...

And this is where this thread jumped the shark.

Sorry, don't buy it.

Go report the guy if all this really happened but enough already with the smoke and mirrors.

There are a lot of holes to this entire story. Who,(without actual name) What, When, Where, Why, and How would be helpful. Multi Agency Certification Course ? Was this a PADI or a NAUI Course or don't we know? Bottom line here is the OP seems to be upset about something but is unable to clearly communicate what the problem was.

Let's see how this unfolds or if it does not. If there is a legitimate problem then it should be taken to the respective training agency for handling. In the meantime it seems the OP did not have a good experience and needs to get some new training from an instructor who can help her/him get back on a positive diving track.

Good luck

JDS

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom