What to DO about the anti-diver vibe? FEEDBACK REQUESTED

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How 'bout a white flag above the dive flag with the words....."Diver Below Not Raiding Traps".

LobstaMan

I live in NY and we have a very political active dive group who fight for diver rights with very wealthy towns in Long Island. They maybe able to give you some ideas or pointers. Here's the link.
http://www.lidaonline.com/

LobstaMan:
How 'bout a white flag above the dive flag with the words....."Diver Below Not Raiding Traps".

LobstaMan

I was thinking about a bumper sticker that says "diver does not eat lobster - please leave windows and tires intact"

Johnw...ski:
Cut all the traps loose.
Our cry can be "FREE THE LOBSTERS"

Free the lobsters,

John

That may actually not be a bad idea. Maybe we could enlist the help of the likes like Mary Tyler More.:lol:

Actually maybe we can catch lobsters and put them in the traps with a note that this lobster was place in the trap by a diver.

Do lobster fisherman actually believe that divers affect what they catchin those traps? Think about how many divers take lobster compared with the total number of lobster out there and the number of traps all bunched together. I believe the vast majority of divers are smart and courteous people who wouldn't do more than look at a trap. These fisherman feel they wrk hard and when they pull up a pot with nothing it's easy for them to blame divers rather than their sucky career choice.

Let's take the lobsterman's point of view for a minute. In the last week the Glocester Daily Times has reported two citations for divers taking illegal undersized bugs. One of these guys had been given a warning last summer and was shown how to measure properly.

I have had many short bugs on my boat for final inspection. I always made the guys throw them back even when they were questionable. The thought of loosing my gear and my boat was too big a price to pay.

Lobstermen have every right to be suspicious of divers. Some do go into their traps and many do take short lobsters, taking their chances with the unlikelhood of getting caught.

Lobstermen voluntarily stopped keeping eggers well before any regulations were put in place. What incentive do divers have to protect the lobster population?

Gloucester does not care about our money. They have too many tourists as it is. Organizing etc. will only exagerate the problem.

My suggestion is we should turn in other divers who screw it up for those of us that do dive with respect for those who we encounter on the ocean. Talk to the lobstermen. Tell them you read the article about the *******s who took short lobsters and you can understand why they would be suspicious of you. Ask them if you might be of any assistance recovery lost gear in the area. Ask them if where you anchored is causing them any prblems setting their gear and offer to move.

i'll probably get flamed for my post but if you are honest about our sport you may just agree

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom