What to do when nauseous underwater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yes, I've needed to barf before, and through the reg was the way to go. It worked just fine. I assume, in a 'worst case' scenario, if a 'clog' developed in the reg, wouldn't it just free-flow?

For those that don't test their backup on every dive, or who have a second quality backup "because it's not my air" might want to rething their position after this thread!!

baitedstorm:
note, you want be the first or last person to puke in your reg. I'd rather toss my cookies and feel better afterwards, then too feel like crap the whole time. Question, You said you weren't feeling all that great when you woke up that morning, do you think you were getting sick, or maybe its a little bit of a nerve thing? If your nerves are kicking up the acid in your tummy it sure would be an easy fix.

I was feeling a little rough in the morning. My wife and I have both felt a little sick for a couple of days. She's pregnant so she has an excuse. I just look pregnant.

I can't imagine puking into the device that is giving you air but that is the advice I will follow should I ever have run into this situation again.

Sorry for the novice question but I don't remember this being covered in my classes.

No problem.

Sound advice that some have given to swap over to another reg and clean out the one you just messed up :)

This topic was actually covered in our OW class - although I hope to god I never need to do it. One of my dive partners kids did it once. Apparently it works well. Yecch.

I've puked through my reg several times, generally when doing shallow dives near a surf line. After each spasm just take it out, swish it around, purge it and put it back.
Gets so you don't even think about it. :sick:

Yep, right through the reg. Only make sure you keep your lips tight around the mouth piece...you'd be surprised how quickly you'd instinctively want to open your mouth! Hold on to the reg, toss 'em cookies out, switch, flush, watch the show. Then, it's best if you stay out of the water!

miketsp:
I've puked through my reg several times, generally when doing shallow dives near a surf line. After each spasm just take it out, swish it around, purge it and put it back.
Gets so you don't even think about it. :sick:

I haven't puked in over ten years. I'm sure if I had to puke out of my reg, it's something I would NEVER forget.

Xanthro

hmm actually I just tilt my head to one side shift the reg o teh lower side of teh mouth and purge while I puke. that way the air forces the contents out through the side of the mouth. upwards.

it works for me.

I'm getting kinda nauseous reading this thread!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom