What to do when shark approach?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For the shark in the picture, there is obviously no real danger. It is smiling :D

I'm no expert, but years ago in the most "exciting" of my very limited shark encounters I made sure I looked un-fishlike. I got vertical, my buddy and I dropped to the bottom & kept facing the Tiger shark (and really wished I did not have freshly-speared fish on a stringer behind me :shocked2: ).

The Tiger lost interest after a couple of lazy passes (luckily for me and my buddy). My buddy had a bang stick, but we were both glad (for us and the shark) that it did not prove necessary to use it.

I stopped spearfishing after that incident :shark:

Best wishes.

Remember...you only have to swim faster than your buddy! (why do you think they stress diving with a buddy?!?)

Reach into my pocket and drop a Dietzman Death Square.

That is a great story Thal (I'd read it previously when you 1st posted it). Much more excitement than I'd care to have.

I have to say I prefer to admire sharks from afar. Arm's length was and still is way too close for me!

Best wishes.

What would you do if you are in water and no where to get behind, there is HUGE shark approach toward you and opens its mouth?:vintagediver:

If you are sure the shark is going to attack you, the only way out I can think of would be to execute the warhammer maneuver, at best together with your buddy.

That is a great story Thal (I'd read it previously when you 1st posted it). Much more excitement than I'd care to have.

I have to say I prefer to admire sharks from afar. Arm's length was and still is way too close for me!

Best wishes.
I've had a fair number of encounters with sharks over the years, a few of them much closer up and more personal than I would have liked; I must say that I agree with you, they do not make me feel comfortable in the least when I see them, except (I guess) for the fact that when they're there it is better to see them then to not see them.

Incidentally ... I ran across that big tiger at Ho'okena again.

Air/environment permitting, get down to the bottom or below the shark and enjoy the view, it'll swim off as long as you're not in your lucky steak suit. They attack surfers because they look like sealions from underneath.

Or so I've been told.

I've been asked this question a number of times by wide-eyed grade schoolchildren (I give presentations about diving and ocean issues). My usual answer is "Get my camera ready, because this is gonna be GOOD!" I guess I'd be the photographer Thal (or someone like him) would have to drag to the surface, 'cause I'm not the sharpest hook in the tacklebox.

Ignorance is bliss...while it lasts.

So long as I did not have a stringer of dead fish, or was in close proximety to someone who did, I'd count myself very lucky to see it

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom