What Type of Jelly?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aurelia aurita (moon jellyfish) most likely. They have a worldwide distribution.

Of course I prefer blueberry jelly... something we rarely see out here in SoCal.

Raspberry. Raspberry is the best! What is wrong with you people :wink:

C, I have a pic of one of those somewhere. What I like about it is there are several tiny fish inside of it. Really neat looking.

drbill:
Aurelia aurita

I think this is a female "Aurelia Labiata", not the Aurita. The eight major lobes making up the bell of the Labiata have notches that make the bell appear to have 16 lobes. The Aurita does not have these notches. I am calling it female because the male has long filaments of sperm, although not always. Then again, I could be wrong.

That being said, the common name is still "Moon Jelly".

Wow, major geek alert. Now I feel the need to take a paperclip out of my pocket protector so I can fix my glasses.

LioKai:
I think this is a female "Aurelia Labiata", not the Aurita. The eight major lobes making up the bell of the Labiata have notches that make the bell appear to have 16 lobes. The Aurita does not have these notches. I am calling it female because the male has long filaments of sperm, although not always. Then again, I could be wrong.

Wow, major geek alert. Now I feel the need to take a paperclip out of my pocket protector so I can fix my glasses.

Will have to bow to your undoubtedly better knowledge of the local marine life. I have yet to dive Hawaii (but I'm trying!).

drbill:
Aurelia aurita (moon jellyfish) most likely. They have a worldwide distribution.

Of course I prefer blueberry jelly... something we rarely see out here in SoCal.
Blueberry goes much better with peanut butter than moon jellies. Probably goes down easier as well.

LioKai:

wow, excellent I am impressed. I wanted to show JB your black water video....do I just search "black water"?

Catherine,
Thanks for posting. Always enjoy seeing your pics. Spent a little time the other day clicking about on your web site. You have some really nice stuff on there. It helped me pass the day during the ice storm while I was stuck at home.

Thanks for letting us take peek at the stuff that catches your eye. You really do have a knack for getting great shots.

Leah...thanks. I need to update that site, but don't know how. I am technically challenged. hey...my sister lives in Greenville, we just returned.

catherine96821:
wow, excellent I am impressed. I wanted to show JB your black water video....do I just search "black water"?

You can find it at the Diving "Podcast" site, or here at Big Island Divers. I have a few pics on the work website. Enjoy

Back
Top Bottom