What types of divers last the longest?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Eric,

Thanks for the tip.

However, if I am going to fly my gear to Cali from Ohio, I may as well go dive SoCal's channel Islands. There are a few advanced recreational groups that frequently charter live aboard boats for trips to the Channel Islands.

You have pushed me in one direction...I need to start communicating with Finstad's Worldwide Diving and Powers Scuba to sign-up for one of their trips.

Or, I can fly someplace tropical.

My favorite diving is Channel Islands diving and tropical diving.

thanks,
markm
Check out seadivers.org
They are an advanced group that has been around a long time. They go to the most advanced sites and do not cater to the lowest common denominator. They allow open sign ups if there is room, which many times there is. Their prices are very good too, wholesale. I was a satellite member for several years and did some great diving with them.
They use the Peace dive boat a lot, but the only drawback is they only do two day trips on the weekends. They set the schedule around their jobs. On the other hand you could book back to back trips on two different boats and maybe fill it in with day trips for a total week long or 10 day trip.

I can't blame you for wanting to go to the Channels, that's where I'd go if coming in from outside the area. Speaking of which, I'm way over due.

There are two kinds of divers, well maybe more:

The Merit Badge Collectors - they quickly run through every certification, worry over which is the best, what is best, and are always seeking a mentor to the next level of tech diving. Certifications and equipment are everything. Usually profess some allegiance to an abc agency or organization. It is about the next level.

The Explorer-adventurous spirits, water people, who simply love the ocean and the outdoors. Certifications and equipment mean little or nothing, simply facilitators to exploring the underwater world. Have no allegiance to an abc agency. It is about diving.

And there could be another:

3. The Social Diver- often a subset of The Merit badge Collector. Enjoy being with people, attracted to team efforts, enjoys clubs and may be a fine mentor to new divers. It is about people.

And maybe one more, though often also a subset:

4. The Gear Collector-how much gear do you need fella, and usually brings it all with him. But he has more at home too. (Feeling guilty, lol). There should be a decal for the back of their automobile. It is about the cool gear.

We are all more a mix between these end points. But you know the picture book definition when you see them.

N

I got a bit of all four in me ... got a drawer full of c-cards, most just got tossed in there after I earned them and I never look at them again. In reality, I actually use just two of them ... and a third if I want to go cave diving. All the other ones are just souvenirs.

I love exploring ... found a new-to-me site a couple hours from home last month and although the dive itself wasn't terribly exciting (compared to some of my local favorites) it was an interesting wall structure, and I had a great time.

Socially, I belong to a couple different dive clubs. One's more of a social club, the other is filled with very active divers who planning multiple dives every week. I love hanging with the people in both.

Gear ... my garage looks like a dive shop. Now that I'm not teaching anymore I really have to go through it all and have a garage sale. I've got stuff I will probably never use again ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Back
Top Bottom