What was your most memorable dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Princess Kathleen is off Lena Point in Juneau, Alaska. It is very surreal. She is almot 400' long so you never see her full length. She went down in 1952.

The Sophia is on Vanderbuilt Reef about 20 miles north of Juneau.

Both wrecks are boat dives. If anyone is thinking of diving these wrecks, I highly recommend the Nautilus Explorer out of Canada. She runs 1 and 2 week dive trips up the coast of British Columbia and Southeast Alaska. Their site is http://www.nautilusexplorer.com/

Hope you get to come up and dive them someday.

ages

One of the most memorable dives to date is when my husband & I were diving the wreck off of Little Cayman a year ago, January. We had the opportunity to dive with Spot the Dolphin. He was so friendly and playful and we recorded the encounter on video. It's one we watch time & again.

Ahihi is a cool place, Kate. The best area is all the way around to the left, near where the lava flow sticks out. There's an entry point there, but it means humping gear about a hundred yards from the parking area, so we usually just fin over on our backs from the old launch ramp by the road. There it's an easy entry in even the roughest trade wind weather.

I love watching the big school of electric blue Ulua (Pompano) that hang out there, and there is a cave that usually contains a 5' white tip reef shark.

We've been working with Mary Evanson (who runs friends of Haleakala National Park and the mom of the Ahihi Preserve Ranger) to get that part of Maui's coast added to the National Park. Now that our Senator Akaka is Chair of the National Parks COmmittee in the Senate, we have a pretty good shot at it. Two years ago Senator Inouye got the remote area of Ka'apahu between Kaupo & Kipahulu, adjacent to where my house is, added to the Park. That place is awesome to dive, but only on the calmest of days.

Aloha,

Jonathan

Hi 100-days-a-year

Some of my most memorable dives have been with the physically challenged. A dive on Molasses Reef, Key Largo in Dec '97 with Capt. Slate's with a 30 year old British gentleman rendered quadriplegic in a motorcycle accident, and one of Oct '00 with a blind diver in the Red Sea with Camel Divers, stand out.

The photographer took some creditable pics of turtles using his hands to "frame" the shot. He was, however, hell bent to get some shark photo, and we were all relieved we didn't encounter any.

Praise to the human spirit.

DocVikingo

It was a dark night in Cozumel a couple of years ago. No moon, a few clouds scudding across the sky, no other boats within sight, lots of stars "glittering" and winking. It was a very quiet night and I felt like slipping silently into the water like a Hollywood version of a WW II Frogman, but, instead, we took noisy big strides off the boat into wonderful 80 deg F water. As we started down and shown our lights toward the bottom, it seemed to move! It was moving! Or a least a "herd" of spiny lobsters was moving, making a mass migration across a sandy, submarine plane. What a sight! Like something out of Indiana Jones.

Then, we spotted an octopus perched on an outcropping of coral and we surrounded him/her. As we all placed our beams of light on his body he began to pulsate and go through the spectrum of visible light, trying every color imaginable to disquise himself. It was like a scene from "First Encounters of the Third Kind"; I expected him to begin rotating and ascending like a space craft.

And there was more--a huge crab sat next to a piece of coral and slowly chipped off pieces, putting them in his maws as neatly as a biochemist injecting samples of DNA into centrifuge tubes.

And more....that night we saw so much marine animal life that I seriously considered doing nothing but night dives for the rest of my life. At least until the next morning when we did a 2-tank morning dive and I saw--ah, but that is another story!

Joewr

My most memorable dive was last year at Coronado Island in Baja. My buddy and I were finding all kinds of useless things on the sand such as half a snorkel, a soft weight, a couple of hard weights, a broken watch, stuff like that. It was odd because I couldn't tell you anything about the marine life that day, it was all about the stuff on the bottom. Anyway we came across a pack similar to dry bag but it was too heavy to carry back and we couldn't tell what was in it. We had to turn back but decided to come back later to investigate. After our surface interval we were on the bottom doing our scavenger thing again when we heard a boat overhead. We saw a couple of divers jump in the water and hoist the bag out somehow. Later on we put two and two together and decided that they were drug runners and the pack was probably filled with drugs. We're not sure if that was the case but heck, it adds to the memory.

It was our sixth dive since our arrival last Monday. All the other dives were spectacular, but this one had all the bits and pieces of the others in a single setting. There was a Murray Eel, a 3 1/2' foot lobster walking around, a massive turtle, a small nurse shark, Parrot fish clustered in groups of 2 and 3, along with dozens of other fish representing every color of the rainbow spread out along our route. I'm probably dating myself, but the reef itself seemed the inspiration for the inner sleeve of Zepplin's Houses of the Holy album. And to add to it all I still had over 1000Lbs almost 60 minutes into the dive!

Yes, Virginia there is a Santa Clause.

My most two rememberable dives...Jamacia at nite, turned off light and spun around, phosphoresences sparking everywhere, it was like swimming in the stars!...and (same trip) diving with a group of hot girls and the BC knocked the hottest's top off, she was very booyant!

Back
Top Bottom