What would be a safer weight next dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't want to give the name of the company that certified me because I believe we were both to blame in that deep dive situation and I don't want to create any trouble for them. All I can say is it was in the Mayan in Mexico.

The truth of the matter is that this stuff happens all the time. We (PADI) have very definite depth limits for training dives, but the 60', 100', and 130' limits after certification are merely recommended limits from PADI's point of view. It is unfortunate that a divemaster would take you to depths like this as a new diver, but as I say, I see it all the time. The onus falls to us as divers to insist on our own limits, and speak up if we suddenly realize we are being taken somewhere out of our comfort zone, or beyond our level of training. I recognize that this can be uncomfortable to do on a boat full of folks who seem gung-ho for the dive, and you are already at the site. But, I have also seen this happen, where once one person speaks up, more people on the boat admit that they are also not comfortable with the dive.

I am not trying to excuse the divemaster's role in this, he should certainly have asked about the experience level of the divers on his boat, and chosen a more appropriate site. However, one thing that I think we (scubaboard users) sometimes forget, or don't realize is that in many parts of the world, including the Mayan Riviera, the "divemasters" we refer to may not have been current or renewed in years, and have no idea/respect for what the recommended limits are. When was the last time a fun diver on holiday asked to see the "divemaster's" credentials?

Just something to think about.

Quero - I liked your postings on this issue the best. Thought they were well written, very organized and readily understandable.

g1138 - as I was rereading the thread I realized I never noticed the edit part of your question. To answer it:
I truly felt I was continually emptying my BCD on ascent, believe me - I was trying everything. I would typically have slowly kicked my way up, but certainly not this time.
I don't want to give the name of the company that certified me because I believe we were both to blame in that deep dive situation and I don't want to create any trouble for them. All I can say is it was in the Mayan in Mexico. The PADI class consisted of 3 or 4 pool dives, 4 ocean dives, the open water diver manual and quizzes and of course the videos. Lectures were not really a part of the lesson plan unless you want to count the various info taught in the pool etc.

That's fine, I'm not one for giving names here either.
The problem with courses like that is student's don't always grasp the academic info or retain it. It would definitely be wise to review your diver manual from time to time.

For the BC deflating issue, make sure your inflator is at the highest point and you're upright in the water column. If you can't get in that position safely there's your right shoulder dump (slightly inclines but horizontal)
or your butt dump (when you're inverted or slightly declined)

g1138 Thank you for all your help.
I've never learned the butt dump, but hey...something I look forward to asking about.
I went out today to try on different wet suits to choose which one to buy and looked into a refresher/focusing on weights lesson...I've found one so far, it's a bit far away but if that's my only option - so be it.
I realized at the time of my certification that much was left up to the responsibility of the student to cover and learn - for a bit of an overachiever like myself (not that I would come across as one in these threads), I spent most of my spare time deep in the manual. I would have preferred more interactive learning but as I now know, that is highly unlikely in a resort learning environment.
Anyways, just a bit of an update. Thanks again.

Hi Scuba_chicck,

One other thing that I don't think was commented on - it sounds like you were using a rental wetsuit. Were you using the same rental wetsuit for both dives? I was told that over their lifetime, wetsuits slowly lose some buoyancy. Two different 5 mm wetsuits aren't necessarily created equal. I would suggest that you think about purchasing a wetsuit - you'll stay warmer if it fits properly and you know its history. After the mask and fins, a decent wetsuit was the next piece of gear that I purchased.

Another point worth making: As a new diver, things are stacked against you a bit. New divers often rent most of their gear, so the gear is changing from dive to dive. Therefore, it's difficult to get truly accustomed to the gear. This can be a particular issue with BC's. As has been mentioned, BC's will often trap air (you think it's empty, but it's not). Often, different BC designs may trap air in different places. Add to that - you're still figuring out the SCUBA techniques. It's tough, but with practice, you will get things figured out.

I see that you're just across the Canadian border and pretty close to the Pacific ocean. There is beautiful diving in the Pacific Northwest. It's unfortunately quite cold. If you can handle the cold water (you'll need at least a 7 mm wetsuit for this), practicing your skills in your local waters will help. If you can get reasonably comfortable with diving in Canada, diving vacations in Mexico will seem very easy by comparison.
Best of luck,

I was told that over their lifetime, wetsuits slowly lose some buoyancy.

Absolutely. I hope you were told this during your O/W course and not by a sales person. :wink:

They loose something else during this process also. Their insulating value.

thanks gzscuba,
yes they were rentals, same brand etc but not likely the exact same suit. I am currently looking into a suit. I think I would have to go dry suit if I dove here in Canada - I haven't decided yet.

So far I've only read the first 30 posts but I haven't seen anyone ask whether or not your training was done in fresh water and this dive done in salt water. It's generally about 4 pounds (if my limited experience is anything to go by) difference in required weight going from fresh water to salt water. If this was your first dive in salt water that could be the issue right there... Please pardon me if someone else has already mentioned it and I haven't seen it.

No worries fjpatrum...
thank you for your post. All my dives had been in salt water, within the same area. Further into the thread I think I found my answers....but thank you for your time.

Back
Top Bottom