What would you buy with $3K?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Joe,

$3000 and no wide angle capability? Macro is wonderful, but I would be hard pressed to spend that kind of money and not get a wide angle lens/dome port.

When H20 finally gets the pictures posted, check out the Sea & Sea DX1G. It has all the features for manual shooting, the lens shoots out to 25mm wide shot without the add on and does it down to a 1cm macro, and they have an add on WA lens that shoots from zero to infinity. The DX-8000 shoots as quickly as about any P & S around and focus on macros is quite good. If the new one is better, it should be quite a nice camera. I've seen the whole outfit packaged with YS-110 strobe for under $2K, meaning you could have dual strobes on it for well under $3K. Looking forward to seeing the pictures in the DX-1G thread, when they finally get their instructor under with it.
Otherwise, it's disappointing that neither housing for the G-9 takes an add on WA. It's symptomatic of the new high zoom cameras though. To get the port far enough from the lens for the Pinnochio act they do, it causes vignetting on a WA lens. I have a similar issue with the WA lens I use on my SP-350, but a slight zoom solves it. That may be the case with the Ikelite housing on the G-9 as well.
Also looking forward to seeing how Gary (CE4Jesus) does with his E-410, which he got, with housing for about the same money. It's quite compact for a DSLR and does live view, although apparently not that well underwater. On the other hand, Gary says the view finder is quite good and easy to use.

Check the classifieds here, wetpixel, digitaldiver, etc... There are always people upgrading to newer systems and selling incredible stuff at half the price. I have seen many D80 systems with strobes in your price range.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom