What would you do or has this happened to you with your weights!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's too much weight in those pockets. I never would put more than 4-6 lbs in each one. Distribute the rest between trim pockets and a belt or weight harness.

I don't think I know anyone who uses a weight belt and integrated weights at the same time. She was carrying 10 lbs on each side. Wearing an 8mm and an aluminum tank. She also did distribute 6 more pounds in the back. I believe she did have proper weight for the equipment she was using.This kind of set up is very common here is San
Diego CA, and the BC are designed this way in order to quickly ditch primary main weights in the event of an emergency, that is the function this weight system. The question remains if the majority of divers are simultan using integrated weights (not weight belt) inadvertently lose one of their primary front weights, what action or solution is there to address this issue.

Last edited:
It is not "uncommon".

My BCD is weight integrated, but when I have to put on extra weight I will have that extra on a weight belt. Too much weight in the pouches otherwise. Not so much because of falling out, but in my setup too much weight makes it difficult to extract the weight pouch.

Bill

I know what a weight integrated BC is designed to do. Have dived a dozen different ones over the last ten years. I also know that distributing weights so that loss of one pocket gets rid of 30% or more of your ballast is not smart. Common sense dictates that losing one results in a loss of no more than a couple pounds or maybe 5% tops. This allows the diver to START to get positive and yet still allow them to CONTROL their ascent.
It also makes the BC a lot easier to handle. I've been teaching this type of weight distribution for about 6 years now. If you showed up for one of my classes with all your weight on the BC you'd be required to use a belt and the integrated pockets as well as the trim pockets. Or you would not be allowed to take the class. I'm not risking my students getting into danger due to poor choices in weighting.

I know what a weight integrated BC is designed to do. Have dived a dozen different ones over the last ten years. I also know that distributing weights so that loss of one pocket gets rid of 30% or more of your ballast is not smart. Common sense dictates that losing one results in a loss of no more than a couple pounds or maybe 5% tops. This allows the diver to START to get positive and yet still allow them to CONTROL their ascent.
It also makes the BC a lot easier to handle. I've been teaching this type of weight distribution for about 6 years now. If you showed up for one of my classes with all your weight on the BC you'd be required to use a belt and the integrated pockets as well as the trim pockets. Or you would not be allowed to take the class. I'm not risking my students getting into danger due to poor choices in weighting.

What you saying makes sense and is the way divers should be taught to dive. This is not the case as far as I can see around me. I appreciate your knowledge and info, it is hard to believe that this is not a strict safety standard which should be emphasized when getting certified. You have convinced me to reevaluate how we distribute our weights and we are going to make some corrections. It is kind of scary knowing that there a lot of divers that are oblivious to this potential danger, this was a very good topic to bring up and I hope others see it and learn from it.

Thanks to everyone , I'm a little stubborn sometimes, but I see the light now!

A lot of BCs are designed for tropical diving, and the designers never contemplated anyone putting ten pounds or more in the pouches. I agree with the prescription for weight distribution -- cambands, weight pouches, and possibly also a belt. The most you should have to contemplate ditching is the difference between the maximum negative you can be -- full tank and fully compressed suit -- and what you can swim up. I know I can swim up 10 lbs, and there is a video of a friend of mine doing so with 25. Therefore, unless you are diving very thick neoprene (14 mm) and a huge tank (HP 130), you really shouldn't require much ditchable weight.

Wouldn't this mean they are positive at say 300 psi?
In a weight check, a diver is supposed to be able to float at eye level without kicking while holding a normal breath. That is normally done with air in the tank. If the tank is empty, it should be difficult to sink.

Everyone has different weighting needs, and I can't say for sure what a person's weighting needs are without working with them. I recently worked with a man in fresh water with a 7mm suit. He needed 10 pounds of total weight. In salt water, he would probably need maybe 15 pounds total weight. He was relatively small and slender. Your friend had 26 pounds with an 8 mm suit. She may have needed it, but if I were she, I would be doing a careful weight check the next time I dived.

I believe that some type or tether or leash should be designed as a security measure to prevent an inadvertent release of a weight or weights. The leash or tether must not interfere or obstruct the quick release of a weight ditch. It will have to be easy to detach from weight and must field field tested under different conditions. This item can be done and since the integrated weights are now the norm something more needs to be done to prevent this from happening to anyone else. I strongly believe this issue is not going away I would like to hear your thoughts and possible solutions.

Zeagle already beat you to it, it's called a Ripcord. Standard/option on most of their line. Ripcord

Anytime you put a tether on a weight pocket you risk it not detaching - so in an emergency the weight pocket drops out but hits you in the knee :D and stays attached - you're still carrying the weight.

I believe part of the problem is the "older Seaquest BCD". Relying on old, used velcro doesn't work on sports gear on the surface, why expect it to work with the added strain of the weight pulling it down.

Frank,

I'd agree with everyone else that she should distribute the weight a little more. I started with jacket-style BCD, 7mm wetsuit with 14mm on the core (tunic) and aluminum tanks. I was actually thinking, if i had to take my BCD off I'd be incredibly buoyant. I now dive a BP/W with steel tanks. I use a custom back plate (10 pounds) and the steel tanks add another 5 pounds. I still have to wear 12 pounds of lead but I put it on a weight belt. If I was still diving the jacket I'd still use the weight belt. I'd put some in the integrated weight pockets but some would still go on a weight belt.

The idea would be if I had just the wetsuit and weight belt I'd be neutral. Any extra weight I'd put in the BCD.

As others have pointed out, if she was properly weighted, and at 20', losing one hunk of lead should have only begun an ascent to the surface, but not "like a rocket". Odds are, if she'd been able to dump the air, she probably would have trimmed out.

Along the same lines, losing an entire weightbelt at 75', shouldn't be a big deal... as long as the person vents whatever air is in his/her BCD at depth.

Those of us that started diving before BCDs were common... well before they were invented actually... typically on a deeper dive either fought like crazy to get down with no weight belt, or we took our weightbelts off at depth, then picked them up again before kicking upwards. I can remember diving on the wreck of the Arabia up here (105'), and it was common to see a bunch of weightbelts on her bow, withing to be retrieved.

Getting back to your question though, actually dropping lead at depth, while it has the potential to be more serious, it also a little more wiggle room to recover. Having said that, your friend responded appropriately by maintaining her breathing and enjoying the ride. As long as you aren't in deco, or really close to it, a quick ride to the surface isn't really a crisis, just an annoyance!

There's always the option to grab a suitable rock or something too, if you're near the bottom!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom