What would you do ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I do a drop in dive I am strongly prepared for any kind of event like you have described and I therefore take it all in stride. It doesn't mean that he wasn't rude, but the drop in "culture" can be such that you should expect anything. Brand new divers with 30 lbs too much lead, in a new drysuit, etc. Experienced, knowledgeable divers and no one else. It all happens at the drop in dive!

I would have done much like you in that situation, and likely posted on SB about it afterwards, too! Lesson learned, eh?

If you're diving on the west coast, Victoria area again, (or anywhere, really) post up on the regional forum looking for buddies if you want to avoid the perils of the drop in.

Cheers,
VI

Would have said let me know when your ready and continued on my way, as this behavior is a good indicator of what to expect under the water, glad I took the solo course and equipped for solo diving, :D

You took the high road, and helped so good on you. OK to fume and be pissed off at the lack of grace and courtesy and skill development on his part though.

Maybe by being demanding, he was in fact exhibiting signs of anxiety. People can get really weird when they are trying to conceal their embarrassment or fears of being exposed.

I'd have been too stunned to tell him to 'scr*w off' so I'd likely just have done it...no biggie, and made sure our paths never crossed again....god knows what other inadequacies you'd have uncovered if there had been a 'situation/problem' during the dive, so at least you got a heads-up about Captain Clueless! I'd certainly have made a point, after the dive, to show him how 'real' divers operate (do the SS spring strap demo for him)....hey, at least you got another diver's war-story to share out of it!

Yes, the stories are certainly starting to accumulate. Mostly good, but this one still takes the cake. I'm glad I didn't say anything negative to the guy, or get angry. As someone mentioned, I was more surprised than anything. Then his tone started. I just helped him and then stewed to myself under my hood. Van Isle, I may be posting for buddies on the West Coast in the fall. We'll see how the time shakes out. Thanks again

What a jerk (him, not you)! I was preparing to solo dive in Laguna and I was talking to this guy (who seemed like sort of a dipsh!t) and he said "damn, I wish I would've brought my gear, I'd just go out with you". And I was thinking "yeah, gee, unfortunate". Then he asked if I dove a lot, I told him I only get out a few times a year (I go about once a week) so he wouldn't get any "I found a new buddy" ideas. Sometimes diving with nobuddy :wink: is better than an insta-buddy.

You are a better man than I am, Diver0001!

Oh, I would have helped him; but first would have said:

"No thanks, I have a pair of my own" deadpan, and walked past.... then when I stopped laughing show him/her how to do it. :D

Best wishes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom