what would you have done?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Very interesting and the video is a fantastic demonstration.

It makes perfect sense of course. My training is only AOW so there are MANY MANY tricks of the trade that I have not been exposed to yet.

So you have the sausage for when you are on the surface, and the bag for when you are submerged. The predive brief would cover the fact that the dive boat should know to come get you if they see either deployed on the surface.

Thanks for the enlightenment.

diverbrian once bubbled...

Some of us don't always have the option of have known people to dive with. That more than anything is why I pursued my Stress and Rescue and DiveCon certs. I am single and typically get the old "dive buddy left at the end of the line." Some of them are excellent divers and better than me, some, well...... let's just say that there are reasons for having DiveCon and Stress and Rescue training even if I don't tell that to the dive operator (which I don't). Yes, typically in that case, I have an easy dive planned to get used to each other. But "easy" can turn into a problem real quickly.

I am not sure what you are refering to. What should I be giving a break on?
This thread asked me what I would have done and I have said my piece.

I also do not subscribe to the "I have no choice but to show up alone and dive with whoever." That is risky, as already described in the first post of this thread. I think that with a little research you would be able to turn up a number of dive clubs, groups or associations in and around your local. A call for dive buddies on scubaboard might help produce some positive results.

safe dives
sJ

Knavey once bubbled...
Very interesting and the video is a fantastic demonstration.

It makes perfect sense of course. My training is only AOW so there are MANY MANY tricks of the trade that I have not been exposed to yet.

So you have the sausage for when you are on the surface, and the bag for when you are submerged. The predive brief would cover the fact that the dive boat should know to come get you if they see either deployed on the surface.

Thanks for the enlightenment.

For open ocean and rough sea I would carry the Halycon 6ft 52lbs lift marker. The seas mentioned in the first post were approx 5ft. Therefore use the best device for the given situation. PLease remeber to get the proper training before trying this. It is very easy to get tangled in a spool line and it is not that easy to get out of it. It can be dangerous and even lethal if done incorrectly.

safe dives

sJ

Well as it has been said many times alls well that ends well.
Firstly it is your responsibility not to get into water that you dont feel good about. I'm pretty ballsey but I wouldnt have made that jump. The fact that you went with the DM was a good one, the Captain only had to find one person instead of two. He was a putz for letting you off the back of his boat in that situation, his charter fee isnt worth a life. I have done a lot of current dives from anchored boats but it is customary to use a current line here in So Cal. When the waters running the boat deployes a line, maybe 100-150 feet with a laaarge red boat bumper ball attached to it. Thats where a diver heads when he passes the boat in the current. Secondly another line is rigged from the anchor line at the bow and it runs down the side of the boat. When you enter the water you grab the line and do a hand over to the anchor and then descend the anchor line. The current usually subsides maybe 15-25 feet deep. Anyway its my opinion that you did good there.
Bill..........dive safe

A good point Bill ... when diving off an anchored boat in current, it is never a good idea to exit the boat until a current line has been deployed. Too many things can go wrong that will sweep you off the descent line before you have a chance to start your dive.

Although the concept of someone shoving a cinder block overboard is rather comical ... in the final analysis, a descent line at the stern of the boat probably made a lot of sense in those conditions.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

. . . despite the obvious silliness of a cinder block and not really the point, but why no comment on the potential enviromental damage? He doesn't say where they dove, but still . . .

Well...

When a thumb goes up the dive is over. Maybe I've been an instructor too long but when he failed to correctly respond to my "dive over" signal that would have led me to believe he wasn't in control and needed assistance so I would have hauled him up by his ear.

MikeFerrara once bubbled...
Well...

When a thumb goes up the dive is over. Maybe I've been an instructor too long but when he failed to correctly respond to my "dive over" signal that would have led me to believe he wasn't in control and needed assistance so I would have hauled him up by his ear.

Good thing he was in FL. That wouldn't have worked around here because a lot of people wear hoods! :D

Cornfed

That the result was positive does not mean the correct decisions were made. When the trainee DB blew off your ascend signal, after you went to his aid, he stopped being your buddy and your obligation to him ended. Your staying with him while noble was not the best choice; at that point you should have ascended. The DMs being deficient in buddy skills and common sense was sufficient reason for you stop active aid and move to a passive mode. By surfacing you would 1- been safer and 2- been able to inform the captain that his DM was having problems and adrift.

Back
Top Bottom