What's it going to cost me for a BP/W ballpark?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i would have to agree on the DGX package the harness is much better for the diving you do . i love the quick release shoulder buckles !!

I've had QR buckles on my harness. Hated them. Bought some webbing and made my own one-piece harness. Much happier. Just my 2 PSI.

I have read and read and learned so much here.
Just wondering what it's going to cost me ballpark.

I know I need a harness and like the hog.
I think I'll get a stainless steel plate.
Wing around 25# Single tank only. Recreational resort diving mostly.
Extra weights? I'm 5'10'' 180 and use a 3m shortie in warm and 5mm in cooler.
Pouches or weight belt? Would rather not have a belt.
No cold water for me.
Do I need a tank adapter?
What will a set up like this cost without going for the expensive name brands?
Thanks so much.
So looking forward to dumping the Jacket.
I was certified 30 years ago when I was in the military but now that my 15 year old kid is AOW I'm going to get back in.
He likes the jacket but he will learn.
Thanks again,
RT

Around four hundred shipped in the US. No STA needed.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Simple harnesses are not at all difficult to manage, if you adjust them correctly.

To the OP: With DSS being a relatively short drive for you, why don't you call Tobin and see if you can make an appointment to go out and look at his gear? I'm sure he can fit you with a plate and harness properly adjusted, so that you can see what you think of the straps, and decide whether you need anything fancier or more expensive.

Simple harnesses are not at all difficult to manage, if you adjust them correctly.

To the OP: With DSS being a relatively short drive for you, why don't you call Tobin and see if you can make an appointment to go out and look at his gear? I'm sure he can fit you with a plate and harness properly adjusted, so that you can see what you think of the straps, and decide whether you need anything fancier or more expensive.

That really is the reason for going with DSS. There are other manufactures of BP/Wings that are similar, you get down in the weeds comparing the pluses & minuses of each. Tobin sets himself apart with service / advice, not bottom line prices.

You could get a used harness/plate/STA/cambands for dirt cheap on here or eBay (around $150-$175 for used Halcyon, around $50 or more less for most other flavors) and buy the ideal wing for your diving from DSS. That would bring you in somewhat lower in cost, though unless you really need to save that $100 or so, I'd just go to DSS and get exactly what you need.

If you don't mind the risks of a used wing (i.e., you have to inspect and fix it yourself, and be confident in your own work), you can assemble a full Halcyon Eclipse rig for as little as $300 shipped, including an H weighted STA and H weight pouches on the harness. Which means you could probably get a used Dive Rite or other solid but not overly polished/hyped brand's rig used for $200-$250 or so.

Keep an eye out on Ebay, Craigs and our own forums. I got a DSS Long plate and DSS 30# wing for about $250 shipped (2 different sellers). I may have to pick up new webbing and cambands but a new rig would cost me $520 shipped (I need the long pattern plate).

I picked up the DGX package last year and can tell you first hand no. I love it, for my doubles, the price is right, yada yada. That 45 lb wing is no good for singles. It's huge, it tacos and won't fully dump while horizontal. I ended up picking up another smaller wing for singles. In retrospect, after diving both one season, I should've held out scrubbing the classified till I got both cheaper second hand AND donut style. If you dive in the proper horizontal position or end up going feet up in a u shape bladder, you can have a bubble trapped in the opposite side of your dump valve. U shape isn't bad, I love both my wings, just think life would be easier with the donut bladder. And if anyone tells you it's good for singles and doubles they are lying.

Back
Top Bottom