What's the cheapest agency to become a DiveMaster?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just think paying $150 USD/year to Padi is ridiculous lol
Their house, their rules... Don't forget to add in insurance!

insurance is going to run you another $400 per year, I think. Maybe more.

Depends on what you are going to do with it. If you intend to use it, then your shop/operator will dictate what agency, and may or may not pay for insurance, which is always more than the annual membership fee.

If you re not going to use it (i.e., it is just for personal satisfaction or to check a box at work or somewhere), you don't need to pay the annual fee or buy insurance. And which agency is irrelevant.

If you're not going to use it and make enough money to cover the fee and insurance you will need, why bother with DM? It's not going to make you a better diver or give you any knowledge you couldn't get out of a better course like the SEI or NAUI Master Diver. Those have instructor level knowledge and skills without the teaching component.
Or a good Intro to Tech and AN/DP.
Unless you are in an area where club diving is available, all agencies will have some fee for DM's. I don't know what SDI's is currently.
The other thing is that will another agency DM card be ok for the shop or instructor you want to work with? If not, again, DM is a waste to get.

If you want to DM for the experience compare the $150 to other experience costs and than decide if it is worth it to you.

If you want the “title” than to me it is not worth the money.

If you want to earn money than do a Break-Evan Analysis and then decide if it is worth it.

Break even is a formula to determine how many services you must have to break even.
How are you getting paid. Provide more services than the Breakeven Point you are profitable, less services, than you are at a loss…can you deal with a loss if there are other intangible gains to be made like experience and just love to dive.

Example - DM on a charter boat paid daily

1. Add all of your fixed expenses, e.g. agency’s annual membership fees, insurance, fixed parking pass at marine, equipment maintenance or w
  2. Income = $ or € per boat trip you are paid
  3. Add all your anticipated daily varible costs, annual gas price average, meals,
BE = fixed costs / (income - variable costs)
BE = $/€ 500 / ($/€ 25 per day - $/€ 20) = 100 boat trips to be financially even

IMG_3246.png

IMG_3245.jpeg

How do you know when a SCUBA instructor walks into a bar?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom