What's the word on Cozumel spots? Blue Angel Resort? Scuba Club Cozumel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If it matters to you, all of the rooms at Blue Angel have an ocean view. Not all of them do at SCC.

I haven't stayed at SCC (though I've walked through the property). I stayed at BA in November and dove with them again over New Year's. I loved staying there. And clearly I loved diving with them.

I'm sure both are good choices.

Another point that I've read (can't confirm) is that SCC only dives within the park while BA may take you to the northern reefs, IF conditions are good & all the divers are competent.

Sorry, that's simply not true. SCC will take you to Barracuda/San Juan, etc., but do not normally run boats to the Northern sites. Do not try these places unless you are a very, very experienced diver. If you get blown off the reef, next stop is Cuba. Twice, we surfaced in rainstorms; I still don't know how the boat found us.

Thanks for correcting my WRONG info. Do agree that you need the skills & ability to stick together up north.

Thanks for the feedback, all. I have a friend who's stayed at SCC. His only complaint was that the beds are hard as rocks.
I hear that's kinda a standard down there. I travel to Mexico on business and rarely find a soft mattress.

How does Cozumel stack up against Playa Del Carmen? I'm not touching Cancun. I've been- I thought it was too commercial.

Beds at BA are much more like you'd find in US hotels / motels. Not hard like the majority of places I've stayed at in Cozumel. (I like a HARD bed) My trip report / review of BA is the second message here.

Trip report, Hotel Cozumel plus Blue Angel Resort. - Cozumel Forum - TripAdvisor

And if you primary reason for the trip is to dive Coz is the place to stay, BUT if you intend to go to ruins & explore things on the mainland stay there for the convenience.

Beds at BA are much more like you'd find in US hotels / motels. Not hard like the majority of places I've stayed at in Cozumel. (I like a HARD bed)

You must have stayed in a different room than me....I found the beds at both BA and SCC to be hard as rock. Or to put it a different way....like most beds in Mexico.

But I will be back. :D

I really enjoyed my week at SCC. The bed was like concrete, but other than that, i have no complaints at all. I'd go again, but we aren't visiting any Mexico destinations at this time....

I have to agree with you on the beds! I was at SCC a couple of years ago and they were very hard! In addition there is a lack of phones and TV's in the rooms (or at least at that time there were none). I found the DM's to be very good and enjoyed the diving with them. I also found the food to be quite good.
I have been diving Coz once or twice a year since the mid-80's and have stayed many places there and I would probably not be inclined to stay at SCC again. Particularly since my non-diving wife always travels with me now. There is just nothing for her to do at SCC while I am out diving.
We have stayed many times at Hotel Cozumel and really enjoyed it untill the last couple of years. Seems they decided to sell "day passes" to the locals to increase the resorts revenue! The place would be overrun by locals with an atitude that they paid good money to be there and so we could just take a back seat to them!
Last May we stayed at Sabor for the first and (I'm sure!) only time. My wife and I both got sick as hell there. As did many other guests we spoke with! The grounds between buildings often smelled like a sewer, and we found it to be much farther from town than we prefer. On the upside, they have several restaurants and the food was very tasty.... If you don't mind getting sick as a dog from eating it! Others I know have stayed there and liked it and had no problems.

The beds in my room were conventional beds but at any other resort / hotel I've stayed at in the last 10 years they were a mattress sitting on top of a cement block. No way to soften that block of cement but some do seem to offer a foam pad or something padded to soften their beds. I have a bigger problem finding a comfortable pillow than bed because I like to keep my head in line with my body just as it is while standing. I don't want a pillow that bends my neck while sleeping.

Thanks for the feedback, all. I have a friend who's stayed at SCC. His only complaint was that the beds are hard as rocks.
I hear that's kinda a standard down there. I travel to Mexico on business and rarely find a soft mattress.

How does Cozumel stack up against Playa Del Carmen? I'm not touching Cancun. I've been- I thought it was too commercial.

Diving is superior in Cozumel. There's diving in PDC but it's not nearly as scenic or as diverse. There's a ton of things to do in PDC. Lots of restaurants bars, shopping, great beaches, etc. If you are interested in going to any of the Mayan ruins, staying in PDC is more convenient to them than is Coz. If it's diving, diving, diving, you want to do....go to Coz. If you want to mix it up a bit, PDC is great. Of course, you can take the ferry from Coz to PDC if you want to spend a day or two there. I'm in agreement with you about Cancun...been there, done that, don't want to do it again!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom