What's Turn Pressure?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cerich:
I have never once used the mod edit power to change anything anyone has posted in the Oceanic section. Turn it into a DIR thing on trusting a computer and I will.:D

I use a computer on almost every dive,even use it for backup on deco dives,so that disqualifies me from the DIR club.

I just dont see the utility for a buzzer on a computer to tell you when to turn a dive. Do you change the setting before every dive so that it is appropriate for the planned depth? Does it know about currents or overheads? Does it know how much gas your buddy has?

I would guess that many divers dont have much idea as to what is an appropriate turn pressure,how do they know what to put into the computer? Once it is in do you just forget about the pressure until the buzzer tells you to go up?

If people want to buy a "feature" like this fine,just have no use for it myself

ianr33:
Why would anybody trust a computer to tell them when to turn a dive on gas pressure?

You set the turn pressure and it just lets you know when your air reaches that pressure, so in other words you are telling it when to remind you. I would trust that as much as my SPG.

Watch your guages, computer, etc. and you don't need an alarm. I always turn off the sound on my computer.

Diver Dennis:
You set the turn pressure and it just lets you know when your air reaches that pressure, so in other words you are telling it when to remind you. I would trust that as much as my SPG.

What if you program it wrong? What if the buzzer breaks? What if the computer floods? How about a multi level dive? Can you have a buzzer for ascending from each depth?

Not trying to start an argument here but this seems to be technology for technologies sake.

You will tell me next that air integrated computers are cool :D

It sounds great to new divers that are looking for features. Max depth and turn pressure alrams have no real value, except as Dennis mentioned. It would be good to know when your buddy has hit a pre-determined pressure. Ideally, they would tell you, practically speaking, they often don't.

I see plenty of use for it, but if you don't like it/use it shut it off. It's seems better to offer it for those that will use it then not because some don't like it.

Gotta say, this feature is among the last I would expect to see being a hotly debated one...

If you read the OP's question, it was about turn pressure. I don't see where I said not to monitor your gauges. Why would a multilevel dive make a difference? Why would you want a buzzer for ascending? What happens if your SPG conks out?
In my original statement I said that I would trust an air integrated computer as much as my SPG, I carry both as I've stated in many threads.
You seem to have an aversion to computers. I take it you've never carried one.

ianr33:
What if you program it wrong? What if the buzzer breaks? What if the computer floods? How about a multi level dive? Can you have a buzzer for ascending from each depth?

Not trying to start an argument here but this seems to be technology for technologies sake.

You will tell me next that air integrated computers are cool :D

Do you have a automatic transmission, power window/locks? Technology for technology sakes...:D

cerich:
I see plenty of use for it, but if you don't like it/use it shut it off. It's seems better to offer it for those that will use it then not because some don't like it.

Gotta say, this feature is among the last I would expect to see being a hotly debated one...
Hotly debated? lol

Can it be adjusted while U/W?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom