What's Turn Pressure?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dherbman:
Hotly debated? lol

Can it be adjusted while U/W?

I have no clue, I don't use that feature.:wink:

Diver Dennis:
I don't see where I said not to monitor your gauges. Why would a multilevel dive make a difference?

Suppose you plan 10 minutes at 100 then 20 minutes at 60. If you are depending on an alarm you would need one appropriate for each depth. Say 1300 psi and 900 psi

Diver Dennis:
What happens if your SPG conks out?

Ascend and do a safety stop

Diver Dennis:
You seem to have an aversion to computers. I take it you've never carried one.
Not at all,use one on every dive. . Aeris Atmos Pro. Very simple. Love It

I see no need to over engineer a dive computer

Features sell products. They don't have to be useful. I want a computer with a volume control that goes to 11. :wink:

cerich:
Do you have a automatic transmission, power window/locks? Technology for technology sakes...:D

Automatic Transmission ? Never !!!! Such a thing is just not British (I am a naturalized Texan )

I do have power windows/locks,but if I immersed my car in salt water every day I would not

For multilevel or any type of diving, you are diving your plan which is taken into account when setting your turn pressure.

I assume you carry an SPG as well as your computer so you would do the same for either, thumb the dive.

Isn't a computer an over engineered bottom timer, depth gauge? A lot of divers here say that they see no need to use a computer at all.

It all depends on perspective...

Diver Dennis:
I don't have any alarms on either Walter but it's handy if your buddy does. Especially an Instabuddy.

lol

I see it as they are all just tools and you can use them however you like. I prefer the only alarm to be "hey stupid, you are out of bottom time!" or "not so fast...pictures aren't everything". For me, the other alarms are background noise, and a bit disconcerting when everyone on the dive has alarms beeping the whole time.
But, I am sure there are people who have a heavy task load and setting an alarm I don't use works for them....sorta like cells phones and technology...don't become a slave to it..make it work for you.

Dennis...I thought you were not doing insta-buddies anymore? Are you a solo infadel? Honestly, it seems to me the whole "no computers" philosophy in DIR just came in response to people just rotely following the computer. If you understand the dangers in that, then planning your profile and using a computer to augment your awareness is the best. Not sure why anyone thinks otherwise, much as I try. Why not have the best of both worlds, or am I missing something?

Oh, but how does turn pressure differ from RB? One is "turning the dive" and RB is "ascend now"? something like that?

Errr... not to drive people crazy, I just wanted to know what turn pressure is, and I do carry an SPG as backup.

Sorry divnmite. Very few people carry both, but I solo a lot and so carry 2 computers, same make and an SPG as well. Sorry to hijack your thread.

Yes Catherine, I'm still solo, that was just an observation. Your right, using technology to augment your planning is great, as long as you are not using it to plan as you go along.

ianr33:
What if you program it wrong? What if the buzzer breaks? What if the computer floods? How about a multi level dive? Can you have a buzzer for ascending from each depth?

Not trying to start an argument here but this seems to be technology for technologies sake.

You will tell me next that air integrated computers are cool :D

AIR INTEGRATED COMPUTERS ARE COOL :wink:

Seriously what is the harm in an extra alarm that tells you your pressure?

ALL the diving that I do here in Oman are boat dives and I set the turn pressure depending on the depth and anticipated current conditions (which are usually the same). But the decision to turn around and head back to the boat is made after checking my air and buddy's air and current conditions.

Back
Top Bottom