What's your favorite 5-7mm wetsuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BARE is my personnel pick.

What's your favorite wetsuit? I like my Women's Bare Alpine hooded 7mm wetsuit!
Why do you like it? Keeps me warm in 50 degree water!!
Is it difficult to get into? I don't think so, but it is tricky to get out of.

Hi Olivia Chillia

While you may enjoy surface water getting up into the 80's make no mistake about the several thermoclines you will pass though that will take you down into the low 50s and probably the 40's even on a hot July day. That being said we're talking about a 7mm suit that provides 2X on your core.

1. I have been well served by my Bare Arctic and the hooded step-in shorty, both in 7mm. The vest is worn on top.

2. I like it because first of all a Bare XL fits me like a second skin. Just right to get into with out fuss but snug enough to leave stitching impressions in my skin when I doff it. The forearm and calf flip seals help control water flushing. The hooded vest is very effective in muting any cold water that gets through the back zip and the hood does a great job of making the neck opening a non issue. Competetive dealers can be found.

When it's milder I can wear the 7mm alone or with a 3mm hooded chicken vest.

3. Hard to don? No, not at all. Step into the legs just up to the knees and get them right where they belong, roll it up your leg and over your caboose. If you or the suit are damp or sweaty a little suit snot on your arms will help get your arms through the seals. I can do it all while carrying on a normal conversation with no gymnastics involved.

4. As for brands fit is critical so suits sold locally are your best bet. Not all brands cut the suits the same way so shop around for the one that molds to you nicely.You don't want any loose water volume in there and it must provide full range of motion and no breathing restriction or assitance in exhaling.

5. IMO Janes and jackets are falling out of favor and my preference is a fullsuit and vest but either can serve you well.

6. Don't let all the rubber freak you out. After your first deep dive into the cold you will have a fond appreciation for your suit and the few extra pounds of weight is just the price of admission to enjoying frequent local diving in MI. Like dive gear in general with a lttle experience it all becomes less daunting. Buy your first suit locally to get it over with and get it right. Trust yourself on the fit and beware of shops pushing to sell what's on the rack that day. If you can get a splash of yellow your buddies will appreciate it in limited visbility.

Pete

Olivia Chillia:
I'm in the market for a wetsuit. Most of my diving will be local lakes and quarries. Summer water temps are near 80 (near the surface). Some locations will be colder. I may do some diving in Superior (which I am told is always considered cold water).

What's your favorite wetsuit?
Why do you like it?
Is it difficult to get into?
What brands are good, or does that matter?
What suits should I avoid?
What would you tell a new diver buying her first wetsuit?

I own a ScubaPro Profile 7m, I love it. Similiar technology to the Henderson and Aqualung and so on...Most of the "stretch" suits have the same characteristics. Price them out, buy one, and don't look back. You won't be sorry.

fdog:
Although I love my Henderson Gold Core wetsuits, from what you describe as your potential diving I'd steer you to a shell-type dry suit. Warmer and more temperature flexibility...just add/subtract undies.

All the best, James

Um James, You're a man, what suits you best may not be best for women. I'd love a dry suit but not until they invent that changes sizes as easily as I do. I can't have a fat and a thin drysuit, unless I get a promotion maybe:blinking:

Olivia Chillia:
I'm in the market for a wetsuit. Most of my diving will be local lakes and quarries. Summer water temps are near 80 (near the surface). Some locations will be colder. I may do some diving in Superior (which I am told is always considered cold water).

What's your favorite wetsuit?
Why do you like it?
Is it difficult to get into?
What brands are good, or does that matter?
What suits should I avoid?
What would you tell a new diver buying her first wetsuit?

There is so much warm water diving I have yet to do I am still trying to avoid the cold stuff. ha ha

I have had very good luck with Hendersen, Bare and enjoy my Aqua Lung 5-7 hooded vest.

Good luck in your search (suit).

Dave

BTW, if you will get into the habit of wearing a lycra skin under all your wetsuits you will getting in and out them is a snap.

I love my parkaway 7mm semi dry, it's easy on easy off, and it's extremely durable. I use mine for diving in the rapids in the river, it can get beaten against rocks and it hasn't even worn in those spots yet.

stardust:
Um James, You're a man, what suits you best may not be best for women. I'd love a dry suit but not until they invent that changes sizes as easily as I do. I can't have a fat and a thin drysuit, unless I get a promotion maybe:blinking:
Indeed I am a man, however it's not unreasonable to assume that if a shell drysuit can easily handle both

>no insulation beyond tee-shirt and shorts
>Holofill 450 over fleece

then it's handling a larger size swing than a single wetsuit could.

Besides, when you lose weight, all a drysuit does is have wrinkles a tiny bit bigger. When you lose a lot of weight in a wetsuit, it gets real cold, because it doesn't seal and lots of cold water flushes through.

The typical progression for someone serious about diving, in your position, is:
>Off the rack wetsuit. Eventually gets cold.
>Custom wetsuit. Eventually gets cold.
>Drysuit.

Just trying to save you the expense of steps one and two...

All the best, James

I got an Aqualung Aquaflex (DH has the mens' version) and love it. We spent about 30-40 minutes hanging about the dive platform (waiting for our turn to perform UW nav and CESA) in 60 degree water. It was cold, but not too cold. Other than that I was toasty the whole dive.

The suit is a pleasure to don and doff and comfy in the water.

Now to find a snorkel that doesn't swamp every other breath...

If price is an issue And for me it was I'd go for a scubal (Tripple L). Right at a $100 works for me. 7mil and warm in 45 to 55 degrees Puget Sound.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom