What's your favorite dive light brand?

What's your favorite dive light board?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just had another confirmation of how good the Light Monkey service is. After my 12W LED sidemount light started leaking on my recent trip to Mexico, I returned it for them to look at. One day after they got it it was on its way back, with a new cord, tailpiece and a charge of $0.00 on the invoice(along with a note saying I should do a better job of lubricating the O-rings)!

I have been using a Halcyon Flare and I love it. For backups I carry two Dive Gear Express 600s; for $50 they are awesome.

We hope the poll can be help for other users who need a dive light.:)

Far and away the best two light brands available in Europe are Greenforce and Metalsub.

They're on the more expensive side but both are indestructible and will serve you for many years.

Lights I would avoid are anything made from plastic, anything halogen or HID or anything from toy factories with over-driven LED's. Apparently some manufacturers think that Lumens=Quality. Light production is one feature but not the most important one. Many manufacturers do not pay enough attention to other quality aspects, like reliability at all depths available to divers and durability of the housing. When you're deep underwater and it's dark, it's no longer a toy. If the people designing lights were divers it would help but I have the impression that this is rare. IMO there's a lot of crap on the market that will cause you to waste money.

The problem with plastic housings is that they warp if you go deep enough. Many lights work fine until you're 20-25m under water but not as you go deeper.

If you're planning on diving deeper (40-50m or deeper), plastic lights are just not good enough. I have two lights that I bought from Underwater Kenetics years ago but I can't dive with either of them if I go much deeper than 25 meters. One of them turns off because the housing warps and the other one has the problem that I can't get it open without a LOT of brute force after a deep dive.

R..

Favourite at the moment is the OrcaTorch and the D800in particular. So far has been great to sround 30m and on shallow night dives. Bought a Ikelite PC as a backup , aside from being gutless the switch failed after 2 dives. So Ikelite is now at the bsck of the list. Will grab a couple of D520 or D560 as back ups.

For every dive I would say it would be the Kraken NR-1000 ( I just keep it on my belt) and for night dives it would be the Light Monkey can light 10 amphour with either the 21 watt LED or HID head (Has an EO connection).

Back
Top Bottom