when a wreck becomes a gravesite?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WreckWriter once bubbled...

Awww, come on! We had so much fun with it last time!

WW
...I didn't get to play last time. I don't see a problem with diving wrecks with human remains on them or where humans perished. Just don't touch anything! I live within walking distance of Arlington National Cemetary and have visited it many times (every time somebody visits me pretty much). They have no problem with you walking around and looking at stuff...just don't do anything dumb or disrespectful. I think the same thing holds with diving wrecks.

O-ring once bubbled...
...I didn't get to play last time. I don't see a problem with diving wrecks with human remains on them or where humans perished. Just don't touch anything! I live within walking distance of Arlington National Cemetary and have visited it many times (every time somebody visits me pretty much). They have no problem with you walking around and looking at stuff...just don't do anything dumb or disrespectful. I think the same thing holds with diving wrecks.

You're applying the cemetery analogy, which doesn't fly. I feel that I have a perfect right to touch, or even take, anything which is not actually part of the human remains. If you apply your thinking then most all wrecks (artificial reefs are not wrecks in this sense) are protected from anything except strict look but don't touch diving. I don't buy this at all.

Where do we draw the line? In the previous thread some folks felt it should be drawn that "if relatives of the dead were still living" the wreck should be protected (we were arguing about the Big Fitz) but I don't feel this is workable because most of us can trace our family back hundreds of years.

The Andrea Doria contains HR. Should she be protected?

WW

You're applying the cemetery analogy, which doesn't fly. I feel that I have a perfect right to touch, or even take, anything which is not actually part of the human remains. If you apply your thinking then most all wrecks (artificial reefs are not wrecks in this sense) are protected from anything except strict look but don't touch diving. I don't buy this at all.

Where do we draw the line? In the previous thread some folks felt it should be drawn that "if relatives of the dead were still living" the wreck should be protected (we were arguing about the Big Fitz) but I don't feel this is workable because most of us can trace our family back hundreds of years.

The Andrea Doria contains HR. Should she be protected?

WW
Ok, you convinced me...but I was already leaning that way anyway. By disrespectful I guess taking remains, etc. is disrespectful. I don't see taking dishes off the Doria as disrespecting the people that perished there. I don't have a problem with that at all....now skull collecting is sick and twisted and people that engage in that deserve to have their gas turned off.

O-ring once bubbled...
now skull collecting is sick and twisted and people that engage in that deserve to have their gas turned off.

Its also illegal to the best of my knowledge, regardless of the status of the wreck. I wouldn't want a skull on my mantle. Sounds like a good way to become the star attraction in a police investigation. Can one convince THEM that it came from a wreck?

WW

Its also illegal to the best of my knowledge, regardless of the status of the wreck. I wouldn't want a skull on my mantle. Sounds like a good way to become the star attraction in a police investigation. Can one convince THEM that it came from a wreck?

WW
If we outlaw diving on wrecks because someone died there, shouldn't we outlaw cave diving since people died in the cave or reef diving if someone died on a reef dive?

O-ring once bubbled...
If we outlaw diving on wrecks because someone died there, shouldn't we outlaw cave diving since people died in the cave or reef diving if someone died on a reef dive?

Some would outlaw diving in general because you COULD die.

WW

Some would outlaw diving in general because you COULD die.

WW
Let's outlaw driving too...oh, and drinking, and climbing, and flying, and swimming, and skiing...dang..now all we can do is watch TV...

O-ring once bubbled...

Should we outlaw driving on a highway if someone died there???
:bonk:

Back
Top Bottom