When did you lose track?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been logging dives since the beginning. I'm over 1150 now and have just decided to enter all dives in a digital format. It's a slow process to reenter the info.. Nice to look back and find weighting and navigation info, etc. Keep track of the different types of dives like cave, wreck etc. I've tried to log every dive, but expect my log accurate +20 dives. Accurate enough :)

I was certified in 1988 and kept a paper log from then till 1994 when I got my first downloadable computer. I then kept an electronic log of these dives, but for quite a few years I would print them out and store in folders. For the past decade I have not printed them out.

Currently I keep the following logs:

1 Excel spreadsheet of all my dives
2 Subsurface downloads of all dives since I got my latest computer in 2012
3 Brief description of each dive on my web site for the past (?) five years
4 Details of each dive and conditions on my web site for the current year
5 PDFs of each year's dives from Excel spreadsheet on my web site
6 PDF printouts from Subsurface for all dives since mid-2012

Why? I find it very handy to be able to refer back to a dive when I return to a spot, even locally, to see what we saw, the maximum depth etc. This helps make for a better dive.

As of today I have done 3,569 dives. All are real dives, no swimming pools, no 2 minute dips to retrieve a weight belt, although I do record short dives to deeper depths (eg releasing an anchor at 30 metres) and dives on my yacht's mooring.

Like some others have mentioned, some people who do not record their dives greatly exaggerate the number of dives they have done. I know one bloke who swore that he did 200 dives a year every year at a location near Sydney (as well as local dives). Considering that means 2 dives every day of every weekend, it was impossible for him to achieve this. Why? Because weather on average (from my records) show that at least 33% of weekends were lost to poor weather and also because I knew he was a shift worker who had to work at least 50% of the weekends each year (and there was no dive operators during the week).

When someone claims a very high number, break it down to how many this means per year and then how many per week. Unless they are a professional, then they are unlikely to be able to achieve the number they claim to have done.

I have a small day planner I use on trips that has a scratchpad I use to note tank pressure and anything to add to the log when I download my petrel. It also has a printout of the last hundred or so dives in really small print just the basics (4 pages shrunk and printed front and back of a single page) and the last 8 or so profiles printed just in case I am asked to prove when and what my last few dives were. I keep everything else saved on my home computer for my own reference.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom