When does diving become "ridiculous"?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What I don't understand is why someone would choose to undertake a dive that has zero room for error.

Maybe there was room for error. But when you prepare for something risky, you have to draw the line somewhere as far as how much contingency is practical. In incidents involving fatalities, the victims simply fell on the wrong side of the line.

That's what's difficult to swallow - knowing that they could have done more - but that's hindsight for you.

As previous posters have said, the "ridiculous" level is very personal. I have friends who are warm water only divers and think I'm nuts to be diving dry (and spending the $$ on a dry suit) in cold Midwestern waters.

Next time you're in Tulamben, you should really try some of the deeper sites: Drop-off, Alamanda, Batu Kelebit and, my personal favorite, Emerald. All these are fairly easy sites with little currents and adequate for deco dives in the 30 to 60m range. Heck, there are even some great deep cleaning stations right in the middle of the bay just a couple hundred meters from the wreck...

Thanks ... I'm heading that way on December 7. This will be my sixth trip to Indonesia, and my fourth to Tulamben. Part of the purpose this time is to investigate the possibility of moving there when I retire in 17 months ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

As previous posters have said, the "ridiculous" level is very personal. I have friends who are warm water only divers and think I'm nuts to be diving dry (and spending the $$ on a dry suit) in cold Midwestern waters.

Reminds me of when I took my first dive trip after getting certified in 2001. We went to Belize, and shared a boat with a couple who had been diving since 1988. They were surprised to learn that in Puget Sound people dive without guides. They were shocked to learn that we do so straight out of OW class. They thought that such a thing was extremely dangerous ... :eek:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom