When does PADI teach gas planning?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TSandM:
Fundies . . . Can I also recommend Fundies? A class that teaches dive planning, gas management skills, and the team skills to cope with things when your plan goes out the window?
Why, yes, you can! :D And a fine idea, it is.

I went from OW through divemaster with PADI and Rock Bottom was never once even mentioned. The rule of thirds was, in the divemaster course IIRC (it's been a while).

I tried to teach RB at the open water level (NAUI) on a couple of occasions and came to the realization that I was causing more confusion than good at that point. I now discuss 1/3rds in the open water class and RB in the Advanced class.

I do discuss gas planning, "trust me dives", etc in the open water class as many of the students want to learn to dive due to an upcoming vacation and I at least want them to know the rule of 1/3rds so they don't blindly follow the guide on their trips.

One of the things that bothered me greatly at the end of OW was that I had been taught again and again to "plan my dive, and dive my plan", but I had very little idea of how to plan a dive! Specialty after specialty, and that didn't change.

That was the same issue I had after I finished my initial training. Typically, what I try to do now is have all the skills completed on dive 4, then have the buddy teams plan their 5th dive entirely. They discuss the dive plan and execute the dive, while a staff member shadows them in case they need assistance.

Anyway, that's a different thread, sorry for the hijack.

B

TSandM:
LG Diver, I had the exactly same experience as you did! I did the deep dives with my OW instructor, and startled him immensely when I offered the rock bottom calculation for a 120 foot dive on an AL 80 (which is darned near HALF the tank -- something which ought to give people pause).

One of the things that bothered me greatly at the end of OW was that I had been taught again and again to "plan my dive, and dive my plan", but I had very little idea of how to plan a dive! Specialty after specialty, and that didn't change.

Fundies . . . Can I also recommend Fundies? A class that teaches dive planning, gas management skills, and the team skills to cope with things when your plan goes out the window?

I totally agree about the planning. "Be back with 500 PSI" is a recipe for disaster.

Fundies is something I've wanted to do for a while now. However, I had committed to doing a few specialties with this instructor, culminating with the wreck specialty and a trip to San Diego to dive the Yukon and Ruby E in early September. I'm now questioning whether I want to go through with this, as I don't feel comfortable doing wreck penetration without some level of gas planning that's more comprehensive than the PADI content. Despite the great disappointment, if I don't get a good feeling from my discussion with him I think I'll opt out of any remaining specialties and put Fundies at the top of the list of courses. Thanks again all.

LG Diver:
I'm now questioning whether I want to go through with this, as I don't feel comfortable doing wreck penetration without some level of gas planning that's more comprehensive than the PADI content.

Depending on what you want to do, wreck penetration can require a whole lot more than gas planning, and you're right to be concerned.

If the wreck hasn't been "sanitized", it may still contain lots of rusty sharp parts, unexpected hydraulic forces, passageways that may become blocked after you enter, exits that turn out to be too small for you to exit through and passageways that completely vanish when someone stirs up the silt.

Terry

I went from OW through divemaster with PADI and Rock Bottom was never once even mentioned. The rule of thirds was, in the divemaster course IIRC (it's been a while).

Around here, there are a few different ways to calculate thirds. Most of the diving community that I have met would dive thirds literally, calling the dive after a third of the tank is gone. So, on an AL80 filled to 3000 PSI, they would call it at 2000 PSI.

Alternately, a few of us dive thirds with the rock bottom gas in mind. If the turn pressure due to rock bottom was 1500 (as the instructor in this post suggested) AND they were diving thirds, the dive would need to be called once a third of the 'usable' gas was used up. Since you would have hypothetically needed 1500 to get to the surface with your buddy on an AL80 filled to approx. 3000 PSI, on thirds the turn pressure would have been 2500.

Just some food for thought. There are different standards of gas planning and often this is agency based (even though there are instructors that exceed course material).

Bottom line is if you are serious about gas planning you will not do dives exceeding 100' on an AL80. Seek better training. No need to waste your money with fools.

I am new to diving and have looked at the GUE site, but what I can't find is where when courses are offered?

Any suggestions??

It is lame, but they make you create an account before you can see the course schedule. Luckily, its free of charge. Just sign up and then it should appear on the bottom left under GUE course schedule.

Now where can I see a PADI course schedule? Thats what this thread is about.:light:

BTW, most of the instructors will travel. If you don't see a course close to you, consider getting a group (4-6) togethor and inquire with your prospective instructor about a class in your area. There are resumes on the site as well.

For PADI....go to a PADI shop they set the schedule shops near me have them online...

Vayu:
Around here, there are a few different ways to calculate thirds. Most of the diving community that I have met would dive thirds literally, calling the dive after a third of the tank is gone. So, on an AL80 filled to 3000 PSI, they would call it at 2000 PSI.

Alternately, a few of us dive thirds with the rock bottom gas in mind. If the turn pressure due to rock bottom was 1500 (as the instructor in this post suggested) AND they were diving thirds, the dive would need to be called once a third of the 'usable' gas was used up. Since you would have hypothetically needed 1500 to get to the surface with your buddy on an AL80 filled to approx. 3000 PSI, on thirds the turn pressure would have been 2500.

Just some food for thought. There are different standards of gas planning and often this is agency based (even though there are instructors that exceed course material).

Bottom line is if you are serious about gas planning you will not do dives exceeding 100' on an AL80. Seek better training. No need to waste your money with fools.

Hi Vayu,

This particular dive objective was to drop to 130', hang out, then come back up. No travel to/from point of descent/ascent and no overhead, so I assumed that all available gas once rock bottom was subtracted was available for bottom time since we'd be at out point of exit.

Regarding the tanks, I'd agree that 80's are marginal for this depth. Another problem is that even if I go out and buy myself some HP 130's (which I'm planning to do soon) my buddy just bought some 80's and I'm unlikely to get him to buy more tanks soon. So, seeing as my reserve is in his tank, I'm still limited by the capacity of an 80 unless I go find myself a new buddy or convince him to beg/borrow/rent larger tanks whenever we want to go deeper.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom