When To Do Rescue Course?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is something I criticize PADI for as well -- Rescue is something that every diver benefits from, PADI's idea of making AOW a pre-cursor is a mistake in my mind.

(The counter argument being that a lack of experience can make a rescue trained diver a liability in a rescue situation doesn't hold weight with me, most rescue divers are inexperienced compared to Coast Guard rescue swimmers, but that doesn't stop the Coast Guard appreciating rescue divers being on-scene first during an incident).

That said - it is a course I think every serious diver (someone diving anything more than a vacation trip each year) should take.

I did Rescue last month, with a dive count in the 40s. To me, that was about right. It's such a useful course early is good... but bringing up an unconscious diver without a good feel for how to deal with bouyancy changes during ascent would not be happy-making.

I think the challenge in the course is that it's scenario-based. The skills aren't too tough -- I was wondering how I'd manage to get somebody's gear off while giving them rescue breaths while towing them in; but it was just a matter of keeping focus and doing it methodically. There's a decent bit of physical effort in the towing while giving breaths and in the exits, but if you're in good physical shape that's not a big deal. The harder part was the "you're just on a dive, react to whatever you find" so you had to use good judgment, not just parrot back skills.

I loved the scenario-based training and wish all first responder type classes used it -- but it does kick up the challenge level.

I go with the previous responses. The Rescue course gives extremely useful and important scenario-based training that divers shouldn't dive without.

It's a good opportunity to develop further skills that will be useful not only in emergency situations but also the handy tips and knowledge that will enable you to resolve common problems that arise in diving - thus preventing a minor problem from escalating into a full-blown emergency. Many students say the scenarios and practice have given them great confidence in their diving and a greater awareness of things such as proper equipment, buddy procedures and dive planning.

Also, a basic first aid course is a pre-requisite prior to starting the Rescue course so if you don't have a first aid cert, it'll be an opportunity to get one (or to refresh an existing one if it's a bit old and rusty).

I would say that good buoyancy control would be a plus when starting the Rescue. There will be a lot of hands-on scenarios where buoyancy controll will be useful. So if you're not too sure about your buoyancy after your Advanced Course, maybe do a few dives or do a refresher and a skills circuit.

I have already 31 dives under my belt.
Besides 5 specialities, so I became AOWD as per SSI.
I was invited by the training institute where I've got my OWD course and specialities to do the Stress and Rescue course.
It was an honour to be invited, showing me that I was recognized by the institute that I've learned quite well, and also the institute wants to get a diver to take classes.
I don't still feel to be an experienced diver so as to become a Rescue diver.
I've not yet taken a decision if I will take the S&R course now or will wait to have more dives under my belt or if I will take it ever.

I just finished my Rescue class weekend before last. I'm a bit of a slacker and I got around to it after 150 dives.

It would have been very useful much earlier in my diving career.

I would do it as soon as you feel good and comfortable with you diving skills.

Things they did to my class/group. In the first pool session they stood us in front of our dive bags and then made us change to someone elses in the class. They then gave us a two minutes to assemble the gear in front of us and get in the water. After no one did that, they made us assemble our gear and then they tossed it in the deep end of the pool. We had to swim down and don our gear. In the pools we worked through various senarios. When the instructor means don't get too close to the panicked diver, they mean it. One of the students got too close and they lost their mask, their reg and the panicked diver dunked the rescuer a few times. The session in the quarry wasn't as hairy, but definately more physical.

It was a great class.

Do it as soon as you are diving without thinking about diving.

If that is your 20th dive or you 100th dive, what ever. If you focused still on the act of diving, you may not enjoy the class or get as much out of it as possible.

Good look!

Thanks for all the advice. So sounds like I should take it sooner rather than later, but I may want to get a few more dives under my belt. So I'm thinking I'll try to get some more dives in in September and go for it in maybe October or November.

Bob, if I need an instructor I'll send you a message (thanks for the offer). But I might take it with the instructor I did my Night Diver course with, I was really impressed with him overall. We'll see when I get closer to the actual date though.

When I took rescue I remember sitting around with the other divers on the course talking about how it was scary that there were divers out there who DIDN'T know the stuff we were learning. In a world ruled by the laws of Murphy, learning about the stress situations that I'd actually seen examples of club diving and realising how little capacity the majority of divers I'd encountered (including myself) to deal with those scenarios was a little frightening.

I personally think the rescue course skills are important for every diver to know, but like everything in life make sure you've got the basics under control before you start to build on them. As others have stated, if you're spending the course concentrating on basic skills like bouyancy control, mask clearing, reg retrieval, etc. You won't get much out of it.

I think that knowledge is more important than certifications personally. I agree that it is scary that there are divers out there that don't know some important information but on the other hand i've seen instructors bragging about doing there 200th dive as they proceed to break all the rules and flop around on the surface like a wounded seal. lol! And here I am with only my advanced and i've done 200 dives in one summer. I guess my point is that a PADI book and a piece of paper that says you know something doesn't mean that you actually know anything at all. I'd much rather have real life expertise than a certification. That being said... I'm way way over due to get my rescue :)

To an extent, yeah I prefer to dive with an experienced diver rather than someone with a pack of cards and few dives.

Experienced divers don't get into stress situations nearly as much as newer divers. I have dived a lot with a university club where experience and skill levels vary wildly, and really, you never know who you're going to get on a given dive. Sure, if you only ever deal with experienced people who never dive outside their comfort zone, you shouldn't need to be able to deal with people in trouble, but at least for me, that isn't always the case.

The skills I learnt on the SSI stress and rescue course have already proven invaluable many times. The more people on the boat who can recognise and help resolve stress in themselves and other divers, the easier it is to defuse those situations, not have to deal with an incident and everyone has a fun day. Some of the best divers in that club at dealing with stressed divers were not the most experienced divers in the club either.

Now I'm a divecon candidate, having dealt with stressed and panicked divers proving invaluable as well and I wouldn't have dealt with any of those sitations as effectively if I hadn't done stress and rescue early on.

i thought about doing a rescue course. I read this thread and will sign up for one this summer. good information everyone should consider doing rescue

Back
Top Bottom