When to go professional

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fashionablylate

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Boogie711:
... Then they become instructors after 16 ocean dives and 84 quarry dives, with an average depth of 39 feet. And the cycle begins anew.
I understand the point of this post, but I am curious to know what others think. How many dives, how many years, how much "stuff" should you have under your belt before you consider enrolling in a DM / instructor program?

According to the certification agencies, the qualifications that Boogie posted (along with some specialized courses) is plenty to become an instructor. So...if the certification agencies are wrong...what's the right answer?

I ask not only because I am interested in the responses, but because I am a relatively new diver, and I am definitely interested in pursuing DM and instructor certifications at some point in the future.

-Andrew

I agree that the requirements for going pro are ridiculously low. IMHO, the short answer is that you should become a dive professional, but not an instructor, when:

1. you have mastered each and every skill to the point where you can perform them at demonstration quality, i.e., flawlessly, while hovering;

2. you have the situational awareness and skills to control a group of new divers and the willingness to take charge of a situation and control it;

3. your rescue and watermanship skills are sufficient to handle a diver who has experienced an emergency, who is panicking and/or unconscious and who is completely dependent upon you to get them to the surface safely. You should also be able to handle the diver's buddy and surface the entire group safely.

4. You are thoroughly familiar with the conditions in which you will be teaching.

5. You are capable of performing basic field repairs on equipment.

6. You are comfortable and capable of conveying information to groups in an understandable way.

With regard to the dive skills, I don't see that it can happen in less than a few years. You need to be so comfortable with your equipment and technique that your reactions are instinctive and automatic. That way, you can concentrate on the people under your care.

IMHO, a few years as an active DM or AI should be necessary to become an instructor. In addition to everything above, you really need to see the things that students and new divers will do before you are qualified to take charge of them.

Interesting question.

I'll be an SSI "Master Diver" in a couple of months and I got my C-Card late July. What's it mean, I have some classes and 50 dives. BFD (A new buoyancy device for those of you that are wondering)

I would say that before TAKING the DM course you should have a couple years under your belt. Even if you are a "fast learner" and a "natural" in the water. NOTHING compares to a couple of years of experience in your LOCAL conditions. You need to be able to do hour dives at 45' without a problem. You need to have survived a couple of close ones. You need to have brought a semi freaked buddy out safely. You need to be HARDENED. Think about all the stuff that new students REALLY need to know. Only someone with experience can REALLY teach them (er, us). I HATE hate hate having an instructor for anything that hasn't lived and breathed the subject matter for a long time and been passionate about it the whole time. Nothing worse than some dork reading the "cue" cards. Don't be THAT guy. Just think about what you want out of a teacher, for something that lives depend on (lots really).

In conclusion, I think you need to have died at LEAST twice while diving before you can instruct. :eyebrow:

Mark

mweitz:
I'll be an SSI "Master Diver" in a couple of months and I got my C-Card late July. What's it mean, I have some classes and 50 dives. BFD (A new buoyancy device for those of you that are wondering)
Funny you should mention this, Mark. I realized fairly quickly that becoming an SSI "Master Diver" means exactly two things, and the first one is "jack". However, it's the highest level of certification available as a non-professional, and so the next logical step is...DiveCon. Because I've been so hard-core with diving and what it has to offer, it was my LDS owner that asked me if I had an interest in pursuing the DiveCon program, and I said that I did.
But then I started to wonder exactly what it all meant, and what was really required. Sure, I can swim 400 meters and tread water. Does that really make me well-suited to accept the responsibility for someone else's life? According to SSI, it sure does!
I will have my SSI "master diver" certification by the end of September, and was planning to start DiveCon in October, at the urging of my instructor. What are your plans, Mark?
-Andrew

I know someone that has had a ton of dives this year alone and they still suck, just goes to show that its not the number of dives that a person has but their abilities in the water does account for something. Being a DM myself Ihave had losts of dives in florida conditions, but none in that low viz, murky, cold stuff you guys call water up north. Does this mean that I am a bad DM, no, I don't plan on being outside of Florida. I have had classes with guys that plan on going from ow to full cave to ow instructor all in one year......I think that's stupid. I strongly believe that a person whould do one cert at a time and before giong on to the next level become proficient in the skills that they learned in class and do those skills even after the class is over to keep in practice, dive often, and be safe. I can't say 100 dives is a good # becuz you can have a 1000 dives and still suck, but I think you need at least a min of 100 dives to even start to not suck at diving.

I agree with you Wendy. Additionally, IMO, there is another criterion as well. I think that attitude is extremely important. An effective dive professional should really want to teach people. I think he/she should be enthusiastic ( not easy after hundreds of classes) and care about improving the dive skills of the students-- not just processing them. I work with an Instructor, who probably over the last 15 years, has not been Ocean diving more than 8 or 9 times. He has however, well over 1200 quarry dives, and his skills and student teaching style are excellent. He has successfully attracted many more area students to our sport because he really wants to help them be better divers, and his attitude demonstrates it. By comparison, there are several 'grizzled, veteran instructors' in our area, and some have the personality of a pet rock. Good skills + good teaching attitude = safer, more enthusiastic student divers.

fashionablylate:
Funny you should mention this, Mark. I realized fairly quickly that becoming an SSI "Master Diver" means exactly two things, and the first one is "jack". However, it's the highest level of certification available as a non-professional, and so the next logical step is...DiveCon. Because I've been so hard-core with diving and what it has to offer, it was my LDS owner that asked me if I had an interest in pursuing the DiveCon program, and I said that I did.
But then I started to wonder exactly what it all meant, and what was really required. Sure, I can swim 400 meters and tread water. Does that really make me well-suited to accept the responsibility for someone else's life? According to SSI, it sure does!
I will have my SSI "master diver" certification by the end of September, and was planning to start DiveCon in October, at the urging of my instructor. What are your plans, Mark?
-Andrew

My plans are to dive a lot and stay alive. I'm taking the AOW class in a week to get some more experience. I'm taking Deep Diving the following week (though I don't plan on doing a lot of deep dives for a couple of years). I'm doing CPR / First Aid beginning of Oct then Stress & Rescue a couple of weeks after that. Near the end of the year I'll do an Oxygen class and maybe a defib class early next year. Anything that will give me and my friends an edge in an emergency. Anything that will give me the info I need to dive safely.

So, I think we should all be responsible for ourselves, and our cohorts. That involves knowing first aid, cpr and how to help one another.

I don't really care about levels of cert. I care about diving and living. The more you know the better your chance of survival. It's sort of like driving a car, the more you do it the better you become. The more you understand the theory the better you are. Race car drivers go to race school. There is a lot of theory to it that has to be understood.

Remember, it isn't a race. Have fun, study, dive, read, take classes. (The SSI dive con class is supposed to be really good, lots of more advanced information, no reason not to take the class). I've looked at the class :eyebrow: but I'm not going to be an active one, if you know what I mean. I should have said before being a DM not taking the class as I think it has a lot to offer.

Mark

Gotta say, I read this thread with great interest. My girl and I were certified OW by SSI in Jul '02. We did the 4 required specialties to become AOW by Jul '03. Our LDS encouraged us to enroll in the Divecon program at that point. We were eager as it is indeed our goal to become pros. We went on many training dives with OW students acting as 'saftey divers' when we still had fewer than 40 dives ourselves. When our season was about to start this year, we took a good look at the situation and concluded we were nowhere near ready to be responsible for other divers' lives. We have spent this dive season doing all our dives on our own and I have no regrets. Our dives have been excellent. I agree you should build your experiences slowly and not rush to pro status.

Northeastwrecks:
I agree that the requirements for going pro are ridiculously low. IMHO, the short answer is that you should become a dive professional, but not an instructor, when:

1. you have mastered each and every skill to the point where you can perform them at demonstration quality, i.e., flawlessly, while hovering;

2. you have the situational awareness and skills to control a group of new divers and the willingness to take charge of a situation and control it;

3. your rescue and watermanship skills are sufficient to handle a diver who has experienced an emergency, who is panicking and/or unconscious and who is completely dependent upon you to get them to the surface safely. You should also be able to handle the diver's buddy and surface the entire group safely.

4. You are thoroughly familiar with the conditions in which you will be teaching.

5. You are capable of performing basic field repairs on equipment.

6. You are comfortable and capable of conveying information to groups in an understandable way.

With regard to the dive skills, I don't see that it can happen in less than a few years. You need to be so comfortable with your equipment and technique that your reactions are instinctive and automatic. That way, you can concentrate on the people under your care.

IMHO, a few years as an active DM or AI should be necessary to become an instructor. In addition to everything above, you really need to see the things that students and new divers will do before you are qualified to take charge of them.
This is a great checklist, and I've been thinking about it for a few hours. Unfortunately, it's also really subjective, and I think it would be difficult for an individual to be able to appraise their performance in these criteria. For example, I would suspect that if you asked the current DMs and instructors, they'd all say they are completely qualified to be in the positions they are in, while their critics would argue that half of those instructors shouldn't even be in the water with scuba equipment.

While I like the idea that I have some "goal" based on this list (rather than just plodding along without any real clue what to do "next"), I almost think it should be the determination of another instructor, or an unbiased agency (like DAN, perhaps?) to determine who is ready to undertake leadership roles in scuba.

In order to prepare to meet the challenges of this short list, there is obviously a great deal of practice involved. Have you ever done practice dives, where you and your buddy dive specifically to work on skills (as a non-professional)? Do your buddies get annoyed that you want to spend 45 minutes doing nothing but removing your weight belt, and putting it back on again under water?

If there is one thing that has stood out in the training that I have received so far, it is that the courses offered by certification agencies do not prepare you for very much. I have learned more by reading from web sites and these message boards than SSI would ever teach in their entire collection of manuals (most of which read like brochures for other classes). If someone wants to LEARN diving...what are some alternatives? In other words, I don't feel that I will benefit from reading the basic open water manual 30 times, because it's all very simplified, and leaves many more questions than it provides answers. Instructors should be able to field questions that arise from students, but where the heck do instructors gain additional knowledge, if not from courses? "Experience" can be a great teacher, but most of what I'm looking for is also sheer academics -- the academic side of scuba is very nearly as intruiging to me as the actual diving.
I'm rambling...so it's time to shut up.
-Andrew

I totally agree that the Instructor requirements are way too low.
If you had asked me whether or not I agreed BEFORE i became an instructor? Nah! Course not- I just wanted to teach!! But after a years teaching under my belt, I definitly feel that the standard should be raised!

When I did my instructor course there was a couple who started diving 11 months previous. I was diving for 4 years and I was a DM before they even started diving!! That kinda p!ssed me off a little. Not in the jealousy side, more to the fact that I'd worked my *** off for those 4 years and i just felt that maybe i was ready to take on the responsibilty. Now- i wouldn't encourage ANY of my DM's to go for IDC/AI until they had at least a year or 2 under their belt.

When I teach now, I'm confident that my skills are strong enough and that i'm strict enough when it comes to "mastery" of dive skills. I don't take short cuts unlike some instructors that I've seen. It's scary, some people get their instructor's cert and think that they know it all. I got my Cert and felt like I was back at the start again with so much more to learn. As pointed out in an above post- attitude is 99% of the job. Ye have a bad attitude and...well i'm not gonna say it cos it'd be rude :ignore:

Not trying to blow my trumpet- i've still got a hell of a ladder to climb, but i reckon i'm doin it the right way!

Guess i'm one of the lucky ones!

Safe Diving people

SF :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom