When to upgrade a BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What's an "upgrade"?

With my gear, if I am happy with how it is working for me, I don't think about replacing it. Sometimes, I'm not aware of how a piece of equipment might work BETTER for me, and once I learn, I change something. If something has qualities I find annoying, I keep looking around to see if there is something out there that doesn't have those qualities, and if I find it, I replace the irritating item.

For a couple of examples: The jacket BC I use in the pool to work with students will allow the tank, if I go head down, to slide up my back and clonk me in the back of the head. That wouldn't last long for me in open water. I'd find something that was more stable, or had a crotch strap (and in fact, what I dive in open water is and does!). The backplates I use in open water have the top slots too far apart for the width of my shoulders, and I have to cross my straps to keep them from falling off my arms. Until recently, there just wasn't an answer to that one . . . now Halcyon has a small plate with the top slots much closer together, and I WANT one!

I'm not a fan of upgrading when things work perfectly fine. .I've had my zeagle ranger for 12 years now and it has been fantastic--cold water diving and in the tropics.. With that said I tried a backplate and wing a month ago and never imagined such a difference..With that said I've now converted and absolutely love it. It's much more customizable, streamlined and completely changes the way you feel underwater.. my vote--regardless of the diving you do is a backplate and wing---- you never hear of divers going from a backplate and wing to a bc.. it's always the other way around---and it is for a reason.. compared to a jacket bc there is no comparison. Hands down the best upgrade I made (and getting my 50w HID Light monkey light too) but that's for a different discussion.

Back
Top Bottom