When to use a pony

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use a pony around 50% of the time, but as I frequently solo dive I need a redundant air supply.

If I am on holiday with a reliable buddy (my daughter) then I don't bother, interestingly I have never seen a pony being offered whilst on a dive holiday.

Between my husband and myself, we have over 1500 dives. We've had two occasions where we've had to share gas . . . both were freeflows. In both cases, it was trivial to establish an air-share and abort the dive. (If we dove in colder water, I would not depend on a buddy's air supply for this, as the dual demand can freeze the BUDDY's first stage, too.) I have two friends in Southern California who have about 5000 dives between them, and have never had to share gas.

I therefore feel quite comfortable on shallow dives, depending on my buddy for my spare gas. It's highly unlikely I will need it, and my buddy is right there if I do. But I rarely dive with strangers, and when I do, I either keep the dive very shallow, or I dive doubles. If I didn't have six sets of them, I'd consider a slung bottle in such circumstances. 19 cf is adequate for dives to 100 feet.

It sounds as though you have a regular dive buddy, and if so, I wouldn't worry about carrying a pony bottle.

In fact, a 19 cu ft pony is adequate for a single diver to make a routine assent from recreational limits.

Good diving, Craig

Serious divers use a real horse, not a pony

scuba_diving_horse.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom